How to prepare for pharmacy school

Started by jchen0386
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jchen0386

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Right now it looks like I have about 4.5 months after I graduate from college and before pharmacy school starts. I am looking for something productive that will best prepare me for pharmacy school in the upcoming years. I thought about taking a break but I am not going to make the same mistake I made 4 years ago before entering college -- I should have started paving my path before college even started for me.

I am looking for something that is geared towards a future pharmD/phD student interested in clinical pharmacy/administration/research. The simplest option for me right now is to continue my research in my current undergrad institution but I would like to hear more options. What are you guys planning to do? Any suggestions? 👍
 
You could try getting a pharmacy tech job somewhere. I hear it is easier to get a job when they know you were accepted into pharmacy school. Or you could look at the pharmacy school curriculum and see if there are any classes you could take to help prepare you. I know that where I want to go they don't require you to take biochem as prepharmacy classes, but they are in the curriculum for when you get into pharmacy school. Maybe take an undergrad biochem or microbiology class. I know 4 months out of the classroom can seem like a long time when you go back to school and you feel like you forgot everything.
 
Right now it looks like I have about 4.5 months after I graduate from college and before pharmacy school starts. I am looking for something productive that will best prepare me for pharmacy school in the upcoming years. I thought about taking a break but I am not going to make the same mistake I made 4 years ago before entering college -- I should have started paving my path before college even started for me.

I am looking for something that is geared towards a future pharmD/phD student interested in clinical pharmacy/administration/research. The simplest option for me right now is to continue my research in my current undergrad institution but I would like to hear more options. What are you guys planning to do? Any suggestions? 👍

1) Looking over old books - only if you think it will personally help you. If it's just to refresh your memory or learn something out of personal interest, it might be a good thing if you dedicate yourself to it

2) Job as a pharm tech - if you want to work, then it's good experience. Whether or not you work during the school year is really up to you. It really depends on your study habits and what kind of a student you are. I'll say that it is easier to find positions for intern hours during the summer if you already hold a position from working during the school year

3) Traveling - if you have money (or someone who is willing to support you), then go somewhere out of personal interest and see the world the way you want to. Once you start school, the only way you'll go somewhere nice is on an internship, so go some place nice this summer if you want to.

4) Doing research - if that's your thing, then go for it. You can learn quite a bit from it if you pay attention a lot. Since you will be going to pharmacy school, it will be good if you can look at your project's bigger picture or look at it from a medical professional's point of view.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Once you accepted in a pharmacy school, you can get a listens and start getting intern hours. I know in Pa we need 1500 hours of interning, only half is covered by the curriculum at the school i'm going to attend, so i'm going to try to get a lot of those hours done this summer.
 
Once you accepted in a pharmacy school, you can get a listens and start getting intern hours. I know in Pa we need 1500 hours of interning, only half is covered by the curriculum at the school i'm going to attend, so i'm going to try to get a lot of those hours done this summer.

That is only true in some states, FYI. You may have to wait until you matriculate, or, in MN, until you finish P1 year to get an intern license.
 
I live in CA and will be going to a CA school. I think for CA I can only acquire a license after P1 am I right? It would be nice to get a head start though.
 
i agree with the above comments. work in a pharmacy - it will help you a lot if you are tested over drug cards in the first year.

if you wanted to take/audit a class, try biochem or immunology. i did not have either class in undergrad and would have benefited from them.

and although this wasn't what you were asking, i agree with the above statement that you should travel! your summers will be plenty busy once you get to school, so take a chance to get some time off. i traveled belize and guatemala for a month before i got to school, and i'm glad i did. i doubt i will go anywhere this summer.
 
Thanks for the replies. As for pharmacy experience I've had couple hundred hours worth of it working in an outpatient pharmacy. And for classes I've had most of the basic science courses that I will be taking in pharmacy school as an undergraduate. On top of the pre-reqs, I've had immuno, cell bio, advanced physio, biostat etc... The classes that I am worried about are p chem and the pharmacogenomoics/pharmacokinetics classes. Any suggestions on how to prepare for those? :idea:
 
Thanks for the replies. As for pharmacy experience I've had couple hundred hours worth of it working in an outpatient pharmacy. And for classes I've had most of the basic science courses that I will be taking in pharmacy school as an undergraduate. On top of the pre-reqs, I've had immuno, cell bio, advanced physio, biostat etc... The classes that I am worried about are p chem and the pharmacogenomoics/pharmacokinetics classes. Any suggestions on how to prepare for those? :idea:
pchem??? As in Physical chemistry? I didn't think pharmacy students took Physical chemistry? My school has a physical pharmacy course which is more geared towards pharmacy, but no "physical chemistry" course....
 
I remember seeing physical chemistry as part of both UCSF and UCSD's curriculum. It's part of the chemistry series. I may be wrong in which case 😀.
 
I live in CA and will be going to a CA school. I think for CA I can only acquire a license after P1 am I right? It would be nice to get a head start though.
Really? I'm going to go to a CA pharm school this fall. I was hoping to get some internship hours during the school year. Where did you get this info that you could only intern after P1?
 
I go to school in CA. We got our intern license after about 2 months of school. I started working as an intern over my first Christmas break. If you want to do that, go for it.

We haven't had any P-chem in our curriculum (UOP) and I wasn't aware of any of the other schools having it in theirs (although I'm not 100% sure about this).

Lastly, I would make sure that whatever you do for this last summer, enjoy it! Pharmacy school is hard, and you really have to hit the ground running. Nothing would be worse than starting pharmacy school mentally tired from all the things you are trying to do to prepare for it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I say don't burn yourself out. You'll be in school for the next 7 years if you do pharmd/phd. So, just relax for the summer and travel. Sometimes R&R is the best way to prep for emtionally & physically taxing professional school. For that, I'm going on a month and a half south east Asia tour and 2 weeks summer vacation in Hawaii. 😀
 
I agree with old pharm if you don't have any requirements to fullfil before entering pharm school that summer.. I'd say go on a vacation because you probably won't get to do that for a long time... Lol
 
My plan is to read as many novels as possible. Although, I still have to work 40-50 hours a week at my job, but school cuts down on my reading time. It keeps me sane and improves the ol' vocabulary.

I'd say take some time off. I took two years off after I graduated from college (granted, I work, but there's no homework or studying), and I wouldn't have done it any other way. You're no good if you're a burned-out robot.
 
Pchem 2 was by farrrrrrrrrrrr the most worthless class I have ever taken. I literally left the class with 0 knowledge that was applicable elsewhere.

My summer plans:
- BONNAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!~~~~~~!!1111!!
 
Pchem 2 was by farrrrrrrrrrrr the most worthless class I have ever taken. I literally left the class with 0 knowledge that was applicable elsewhere.

My summer plans:
- BONNAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!~~~~~~!!1111!!

For pharmacists, yes. Except for chemical kinetics.

My professor told us that Engineers would find it the most useful, but not others.
 
Seems like traveling sounds like a good idea. Right now, I am trying to find a research position in Asia (China or Taiwan). This way I will satisfy both traveling and also getting ahead/working. 👍
 
PChem was the bane of my existence, I wish to never take it again. It became a 3 credit class for my class which sucks....

I spent the summer reading, I went crazy; I read 10 books.
 
I am taking a break. I have been in classes, literally, for 3 straight years. Every spring, summer, fall and j-term, I have been in class.

I shall be recharging my batteries and having fun for a change.
 
Pchem 2 was by farrrrrrrrrrrr the most worthless class I have ever taken. I literally left the class with 0 knowledge that was applicable elsewhere.

My summer plans:
- BONNAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!~~~~~~!!1111!!

yes, the lineup is slowly improving.
 
So are you guys that took Pchem saying that you had to take it as part of your pharmacy curriculum? Or you just took it prior to starting pharmacy school? Also, do most all of the pharmacy programs require pchem? Sorry for these questions, I just didn't think pchem was something students took during the PharmD curriculum
 
So are you guys that took Pchem saying that you had to take it as part of your pharmacy curriculum? Or you just took it prior to starting pharmacy school? Also, do most all of the pharmacy programs require pchem? Sorry for these questions, I just didn't think pchem was something students took during the PharmD curriculum

P chem 1 was because I was a chemistry major. P chem 2 was also because i was a chemistry major, but my school (of pharmacy) counted p chem 2 as a science elective if we didn't have enough elective hours.
 
P chem 1 was because I was a chemistry major. P chem 2 was also because i was a chemistry major, but my school (of pharmacy) counted p chem 2 as a science elective if we didn't have enough elective hours.
Oh ok, so it doesn't look typical to have a pchem class incorporated into the pharmD curriculum. It just seems extraneous to some extent. Thanks crazybob
 
Oh ok, so it doesn't look typical to have a pchem class incorporated into the pharmD curriculum. It just seems extraneous to some extent. Thanks crazybob
I know Maryland used to but they restructured the curriculum starting this current year. I don't know if they still have to take it. They still have the old curriculum on their website that lists physical chemistry but not the new one.
 
Last edited:
If I'm starting school in the fall and already work in a pharmacy, how do I start logging my hours?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea, I'm also wondering, once you start interning, how do you keep track of your internship hours? Is it like a time sheet you have them sign each shift?
 
Will getting a tech license help in landing internship positions as a P1?

No because it most states you have to turn in your tech license in order to obtain an intern license. You would essentially be wasting your money.
 
This completely depends on your state. If you land a technician position before you become an intern, that employer may take you as an intern later on. Furthermore, in some states you can hold BOTH a technician license and an intern license, and use both. For instance, you may work some shifts as an intern but other shifts as a tech. Contact your state board of pharmacy.

For the rest of the questions, the answer is the same: varies by state. Contact your state board!
 
PChem isn't required for pharmacy schools. Most chemistry majors take pchem... it wasn't that bad.. in hindsight. If anything, Biochemistry (including Molecular Biology/Genetics and Metabolism) should be the most helpful.
 
Physical chemistry part I is not difficult (thermodynamics mostly).

Physical chemistry part II is difficult (quantum chemistry).

4 months till pharm school? R-E-L-A-X

You're about to embark on a long journey, and all the rest and enjoyment before hand is a must!

You have the next 4 yrs to worry about working and studying honestly.

Spoil yourself for a job well done. 👍
 
Is anyone a CA pharmacist intern? Once you start interning, how do you keep track of your internship hours? Is it like a time sheet you have them sign each shift?

Also when you apply for the intern license, they require a 2x2 passport photo to be attached. All it says is no polaroid pictures. Does anyone know the exact requirements (e.g., white background, looking forward)? Is it ok if I print from my home color printer, or do I have to go to a professional photo shop?

I've been trying to call the CA Board about some other questions, but they always transfer me to an automatic message machine.
 
hmm...I know I will be continuing my studies with ethanol during the summer..😛
that & working, working, working so i can afford to go on a vacation or two maybe
 
I will be doing absolutely nothing. I'm taking advantage of the free time to travel, exercise, and enjoy doing nothing until school takes over my life.
 
I finally got accept to a pharmacy. I know someone has asked this question before in the forum.

it is less than 4 month before school start, is there anything I can do to help me prepare for it?
 
I finally got accept to a pharmacy. I know someone has asked this question before in the forum.

it is less than 4 month before school start, is there anything I can do to help me prepare for it?

The best way to prepare for pharm school is to drop out.
Pharmacy is dead
 
Well....you could get started and start knowing the top 200 drugs.....

Or you could enjoy summer....crazy idea maybe?
 
Review the top 200. Associate the brand name to the generic name and to the therapeutic class.

Review your anatomy: veins, arteries, nerves, organs, ducts, even skeleton and musculature.

Review physiology:renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system. Review endocrinology, every single hormone, hypothalamic-pituitary-effector organ axis. know the hormones, what they do, where they come from

Review all of organic chemistry. SN1, SN2, E1,E2, know all the mechanisms of orgo 1 and orgo 2. michael addition, diels-alder reaction, what are good leaving groups, acid-chlorides, etc.etc. just write down everything on a 8x14 page, and review it, and then try to exactly replicate that chart on a brand new 8x14 page to make sure you really know the electron pushing.

Review cancer biology. Review tyrosine-kinase, serine, threonine kinase, MAP kinase pathways, g-protein coupled receptors --> adenylyl cyclase, cAMP, and/or Ca2+, phospholipase C, IP3, diacylglycerol, etc, etc,
Make sure you can reproduce each signaling pathway at will.

----
Success in your courses depends on how quickly you can master pathways and mechanisms of action similar to these. This is not trivia here you're memorizing. THis is the foundation to your general knowledge as a healthcare provider. Not only must you recall or recognize such pathways and mechanisms, you must be able to reproduce them. When you can reproduce your notes verbatim without having to refer back to the original text, that is when you have achieved mastery.

When you develop this skill, you will fly through your courses.

best of luck.

--
on a related note, if you happen to be religious and you can memorize and recite Bible verses, you can definitely memorize and recite facts on physiology, pharmacology, medicinal chemistry.
Its all the same dogma to me.
 
STOP DOING THAT!!!

jk, jk... but in all seriousness, some people might take your advice at face value and just do that.
lol ya I think I was very angry when I wrote that.. I tried to add some sarcasm but I dont think i added enough. It was out of frustration due to all these people posting all this crap. OP I was kidding sorry
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The main thing you need to do is relax. Hang out with your friends/significant other/family everyday and just try to make this summer as enjoyable as possible. There is no need to study over the summer.
 
PChem was the bane of my existence, I wish to never take it again. It became a 3 credit class for my class which sucks....

I spent the summer reading, I went crazy; I read 10 books.

Yeah Pchem can suck... I have a test tomorrow - you know how hard it is to motivate myself to study for it when I'm 10 points above the class average and all I need to do is pass it so I can finish my BS.

For pharmacists, yes. Except for chemical kinetics.

My professor told us that Engineers would find it the most useful, but not others.

My class added kinetics in with thermo during first sem so second semester has been only quantum - even if for some reason I decide to change my mind and not do pharmacy - or do a dual PhD/PharmD - I still wouldn't be going for Pchem though
 
Last edited:
Review the top 200. Associate the brand name to the generic name and to the therapeutic class.

Review your anatomy: veins, arteries, nerves, organs, ducts, even skeleton and musculature.

Review physiology:renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system. Review endocrinology, every single hormone, hypothalamic-pituitary-effector organ axis. know the hormones, what they do, where they come from

Review all of organic chemistry. SN1, SN2, E1,E2, know all the mechanisms of orgo 1 and orgo 2. michael addition, diels-alder reaction, what are good leaving groups, acid-chlorides, etc.etc. just write down everything on a 8x14 page, and review it, and then try to exactly replicate that chart on a brand new 8x14 page to make sure you really know the electron pushing.

Review cancer biology. Review tyrosine-kinase, serine, threonine kinase, MAP kinase pathways, g-protein coupled receptors --> adenylyl cyclase, cAMP, and/or Ca2+, phospholipase C, IP3, diacylglycerol, etc, etc,
Make sure you can reproduce each signaling pathway at will.

----
Success in your courses depends on how quickly you can master pathways and mechanisms of action similar to these. This is not trivia here you're memorizing. THis is the foundation to your general knowledge as a healthcare provider. Not only must you recall or recognize such pathways and mechanisms, you must be able to reproduce them. When you can reproduce your notes verbatim without having to refer back to the original text, that is when you have achieved mastery.

When you develop this skill, you will fly through your courses.

best of luck.

--
on a related note, if you happen to be religious and you can memorize and recite Bible verses, you can definitely memorize and recite facts on physiology, pharmacology, medicinal chemistry.
Its all the same dogma to me.

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of review my old classes (especially those that I took in freshman years....gosh ! how long ago??) and didn't know where to start. This should be a good list that keep my mind stimulate this summer 👍