How to properly review CARS on FLs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charactercomic2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took FL1 last week and got a 514 (129/126/130/129). For all but Cars, I only missed 5-8 questions per section. I got 39/53 for my Cars however, and I have since reviewed the test a few days ago. I was wondering, what methods do you guys utilize when reviewing cars specifically on your FLs? For the other content sections, I can easily make notecards off of all incorrect answers and all options per question, but I feel like I am not doing anything productive when I a review the only "non-content" section.

Members don't see this ad.

Cars is easily one of the most challenging sections to review for the reasons you stated above. It is easily the section that I spend the most time on with my students. First, you need to assess the efficiency with which you are moving through passages and questions. If you are running out of time, that is the first priority. You want to identify strategies that result in using the least amount of time per passage. I tend to advocate my students take a little more time reading and understanding passages upfront to minimize the need to refer back to the passage later. If timing is good, then you move on to how well you are tracking the argument. Are you picking up on things that indicate a change in argument, or presenting a counterpoint, or the tone/opinion the author has regarding the topic. Next looking at the question types you are missing: are they fact recall questions, questions regarding argument/tone/word choice, or are they questions where you need to draw an inference. Next, look at the wording of the question: is the wording strong/ medium/ weak. Then look at the answer choices and pay close attention to the word choice. Answers that are definitive and use words like always and never should be selected rarely and only if all other answers are correct. Finally, once you have done that, go back to the passage and look for the things that caused confusion. For cars, it is not only about figuring out why the correct answer is correct but why the incorrect answers are *not the best* choice.

Cars should easily take 2-3x test time to thoroughly review. There are so many hints and details to pick up on.

Reactions: 1 user
I took FL1 last week and got a 514 (129/126/130/129). For all but Cars, I only missed 5-8 questions per section. I got 39/53 for my Cars however, and I have since reviewed the test a few days ago. I was wondering, what methods do you guys utilize when reviewing cars specifically on your FLs? For the other content sections, I can easily make notecards off of all incorrect answers and all options per question, but I feel like I am not doing anything productive when I a review the only "non-content" section.
For problems you got wrong, I try to identify their types and create my own AAMC style cars problems with their rationale. CARS is all about putting yourself into the test make’s mind. This exercise helped me prime my brain into AAMC logic.

Thank you both for the advice! I started going into each passage more "enthusiastic" and employed the "what would AAMC want" rationale. My CARS went up two points from FL1 (126) to FL2 (128)!!! FL2 felt more challenging, but my score went from 514 to a 515 (129/128/129/129). I have heard the third and fourth FLs are more representative, why is that?

why is that?
Because AAMC FL3 and FL4 came from more recent MCAT exams with FL4 being the most representative IMO. However, with CARS, i found all the FL’s to be fair game for the actual exam in terms of difficulty. I’m glad my advice is working and make sure your score stays and doesn’t drop.