How to protect your hands and wrists for the future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothbrushBuddy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, since dentistry requires fine manipulation with our hands. Do any of you have any good ideas for preserving your hands and wrists so you can have a long career as a dentist? I have had lots of wrist problems (from falling off horses growing up) and am kind of concerned that I will get carpel tunnel syndrome and not be able to practice dentistry for very long. So, anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I looked into this a little while ago because I had the same concern.

My main finding was for the computer (that's what I use all day as a college student)- anyways, never rest your wrists on the edge of the keyboard or on the table. If you can, keep them elevated above your fingers slightly and parallel to each other. This will reduce strain that nerves are feeling.

Another thing was to use one of those small rubber balls and to squeeze them for exercise and to develop hand strength.

Looking forward to hearing other input!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
biflex joint pills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, since dentistry requires fine manipulation with our hands. Do any of you have any good ideas for preserving your hands and wrists so you can have a long career as a dentist? I have had lots of wrist problems (from falling off horses growing up) and am kind of concerned that I will get carpel tunnel syndrome and not be able to practice dentistry for very long. So, anyone have any advice?

Yea use your feet more and your mouth....

Or just make your dental assistant do everything

Or
Get a robot where you can control from a distance comfortably, maybe on a couch.

These are just a few good ideas for you.

Stay away from power saws (table, circular & chain).

Buy insurance on your hands.... I think they can reimburse you and you can get a new pair. Problem solved. :)

Buy insurance on your hands.... I think they can reimburse you and you can get a new pair. Problem solved. :)

Only if you get the full insurance. I only have liability. I like living on the edge.

Stay away from power saws (table, circular & chain).
True story, so the only dentist in my hometown chopped off his pointer and middle finger using a table saw and his dog started eating them, so his career was basically over and he had to move to become a teacher at a hygeine school and our town lost the only dentist. I'm seriously not lying.

True story, so the only dentist in my hometown chopped off his pointer and middle finger using a table saw and his dog started eating them, so his career was basically over and he had to move to become a teacher at a hygeine school and our town lost the only dentist. I'm seriously not lying.

Are you going to become the town dentist?

So, I am a Pediatric Dentist. Way back in 1993, (yeah, I'm old) my son was taking ice skating lessons. I thought it was a good idea to go to the family skate night on the night before Christmas Eve. Long story short, it was the psycho preteen (not family) skate night, and my 3 year old kid did some great ice walking (with his mother shielding him from the mayhem) until another kiddo took the whole family out. I was a tiger Mama, and shielded my kid, and I took a nasty ass fall. So, the "arm that went to school" looked like an S, and on Christmas Eve, I had surgery and pins placed in my wrist. I had a brand new practice. I had employees . I had a bank loan. I found a brand new friend who was a new Pediatric Dentist. She saw my patients, and I paid her to do it. We are great friends to this day, and we both have thriving practices. I ski. I mountain bike. I always wear wrist guards. Enjoy your life, but please pay your disability premium, wear protection and be nice to people. The people that you are nice to just might take care of your practice when you are disabled.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you going to become the town dentist?
I'm going to work for the Indian Health Services when I graduate, so I will be the dentist in a different town that also really needs a dentist.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to work for the Indian Health Services when I graduate, so I will be the dentist in a different town that also really needs a dentist.

Sweet- that sounds amazing! You get to provide whatever care is needed without worrying about production goals. Congrats :D

Members don't see this ad :)
You could work for them too!

I'd love to man. I'm definitely hoping to get an externship there during D-school.
Do you have a particular state you like?

Last edited:
I'd love to man. I'm definitely hoping to get an externship there during D-school. I'll probably go military first, and then IHS.

Do you have a particular state you like?

That's a long agenda.

Fair enough

Last edited:
Yea !

Dental dogey

Take that

Hiya

Hi Mr. Bear. Great to see you today.

Yea !

Dental dogey

Take that

Hiya

Seriously. What is wrong with you guys?

@Incis0r It might not seem like it from your perspective, and believe me I'm a planner myself, but once you start you'll find out that the 5 math problems also has additional a, b, c, d, e, f, g, f, i, g, k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, x, y, z. Long-term is probably the better way to put it. Doesn't lessen my resolve one bit. Bit of a gunner here. Dont tell anyone.

Seriously. What is wrong with you guys?

@Incis0r It might not seem like it from your perspective, and believe me I'm a planner myself, but once you start you'll find out that the 5 math problems also has additional a, b, c, d, e, f, g, f, i, g, k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, x, y, z. Long-term is probably the better way to put it. Doesn't lessen my resolve one bit. Bit of a gunner here. Dont tell anyone.

Lol. Nothing's wrong with @tooth knockn . He's the best teddy bear in the world. Don't get defensive. We're having a good time. And, you've gotta admit, @tooth knockn is pretty darn funny. His last comment just made me laugh out loud in the quiet section of the library....got so many death stares from the grad students.....it's worth it.

Look, I know what you are saying and why you are saying it. You're saying that marriage, kids, financials, random luck, spontaneity, etc....all these forces in life can easily chart a new path and therefore it is not good to be tunnel-visioned.

I respect that. I agree with that. and I'm glad that you are looking out for me.

Last edited:
Lol. Nothing's wrong with @tooth knockn . He's the best teddy bear in the world. Don't get defensive. We're having a good time. And, you've gotta admit, @tooth knockn is pretty darn funny. His last comment just made me laugh out loud in the quiet section of the library....got so many death stares from the grad students.....it's worth it.

Look, I know what you are saying and why you are saying it. You're saying that marriage, kids, financials, random luck, spontaneity, etc....all these forces in life can easily chart a new path and therefore it is not good to be tunnel-visioned.

I respect that. I agree with that. and I'm glad that you are looking out for me.

But I am not being tunnel-visioned. I mean....a guy can dream right? All I did was say that, at the present moment, I am thinking of a trajectory along the lines of military service followed by Indian Health Service. That could very well change. There's an even higher chance that it doesn't though because I have wanted to be a part of the military since I was 8 and I also really enjoy public health (based on my shadowing). There's nothing wrong with having a general direction/aim for life. It makes me feel more secure and happy.

I saw your point of view. Can you try to understand mine?

P.S.- Why would a math problem have the parts "d, e, f, g, f, i, g"....seems to me like the math teacher doesn't know the alphabet then....in which case, we have bigger problems.

Ha. I like killing young'uns dreams.

The typo was because I was typing on my phone.

Ha. I like killing young'uns dreams.

The typo was because I was typing on my phone.

You tried typing the entire alphabet out on your phone? Respect.

Wear the wrist brace at night and keep your handpieces serviced for good performance