How to raise GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgundler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've had some past community college experience in which I was a pretty solid B student. I can't get my actual GPA because my cc's web site is kicking me out. :mad:

Basically, I was wondering what I could do to boost my GPA for vet school consideration once I start my "real" undergrad this fall.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm study hard? lol not sure what you're looking for as an answer. The only "out of the box" suggestion i can think of is one that helped me personally. I joined a co-ed chemistry fraternity and it was a great social experience and academic help. Many people in it were taking the same chemistry and biology courses so we would help each other out, tutor younger students (which helped us learn more), and join study groups. Finally, don't procrastinate.

Sorry if this doesnt help, but i don't really see how to answer your question. The more credits you take the more it will raise your GPA (if you do well in them), but you don't want to spread yourself too thin.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the best way to do well in school is to be honest with yourself. Think back to classes in which you didn't get an A, and ask yourself why. Never blame the material or the professor or the circumstances, because in theory if you put in enough time and effort, you should be able to do well. If you realize what works for you and how best you study, you will hit your stride and start doing better (hopefully)!

During the first two years of college I did well grade-wise, but not as well as I had been expecting. I matured during the summer after my sophomore year and since then have nearly maintained a 4.0 thanks to more effective studying and more confidence in myself.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

I guess, more specifically, what I was trying to ask is if taking more classes is better, or if I can even raise my GPA high enough in 4 years to make requirements. Sorry.

Assuming you have a 3.0 now, you can certainly raise your GPA enough to be competitive. Do well in the classes you need for your bachelor's and you should be fine.

Raising your GPA will come as you add more credits with better grades, but if you already have over 100 credits raising your GPA will take a lot of credits. If you have 30-40 credits it will be easier. It does not matter if you choose to take 20 credits/semester and finish in 2-3 years or if you decide to do 12-15 credits/semester and finish in 4 years. In the end, you will have the same # of credits and therefore the same opportunity to raise your GPA. Now, it will be harder to do well when taking on 20 credits but it can be done. It will be easier to do well when doing 12-15 credits. It really just depends on how long you want to be in school for/how well you feel that you can handle the credit load. Also, vet schools like to see full loads it helps them to see that you can handle the vet school curriculum which is around 18-22 credits/semester (give or take a credit or two). In the end, it does not matter how long it takes to get the requirements done, all that matters is your grade in each class. You unfortunately do not get any benefit to your GPA for doing it in a shorter time frame.

Assuming you have a 3.0 now, you can certainly raise your GPA enough to be competitive. Do well in the classes you need for your bachelor's and you should be fine.

That's assuming you don't already have over 100 credits. You didn't say how long you were at the CC. The more credits you have, the less each new "good" credit will bump you up. I think for every class I were to get an A in now, my GPA would go up .01 points. So it's a slow process, and could depend on how much longer you expect to be doing your undergrad. (IE, if you only have to take three more classes, won't help all that much. If you still have 2 or 3 years to go, then it will be a bigger difference)

EtA: What DVMdream said. I type too slow.

However keep in mind there's several different GPAs that can be calculated and are used by different schools. Cumulative, science, last 45, pre-req, and probably some others. Cumulative is the hardest to raise, but Last 45 is pretty easy. Science is somewhere in the middle.

Thanks guys! I was at the CC for 2 years, I'm not really sure how many credits I have but I definitely know it's less than 100. Hopefully my CC's website will be back up soon so I can be sure!