How to raise undergrad gpa before next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pdazzle11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Okay so it seems like me applying this cycle isn’t the best idea. I’m cramming for the mcat and even though I’m scoring well more study time is always welcome. The biggest glaring hole in my application is my gpa. I only have a 3.44cgpa granted I have a strong upward trend. How can I mend my gpa now that I have graduated? Is SMP the only assured route for gpa repair that medical schools will acknowledge? Or could do an informal postbacc. How do informal ones work... do I just take classes at my local community college ? Help me choose the best path to get into an allopathic medical school. I am not a slacker and am willing to put my nose to the ground and work hard to get in.

I would recommend an informal postbac... informal basically just means you put together some classes at your local CC and create DIY program for yourself... definitely do not exclusively pick easy courses as medical schools will see right through this... if you have any interests that you plan on bringing up in the personal statement, like music or crafts or something, take one or two easy classes that are related to that (med schools won't be able to criticize the low level of rigor since they are genuine interests), and then take 4-5, maybe more if needed, science courses of moderate difficulty. Don't go taking something super challenging, like physical chem, try courses like anatomy, physio, ecology, metabolic or structural, nutrition, neuroscience, cognitive science, etc...

I would recommend an informal postbac... informal basically just means you put together some classes at your local CC and create DIY program for yourself... definitely do not exclusively pick easy courses as medical schools will see right through this... if you have any interests that you plan on bringing up in the personal statement, like music or crafts or something, take one or two easy classes that are related to that (med schools won't be able to criticize the low level of rigor since they are genuine interests), and then take 4-5, maybe more if needed, science courses of moderate difficulty. Don't go taking something super challenging, like physical chem, try courses like anatomy, physio, ecology, metabolic or structural, nutrition, neuroscience, cognitive science, etc...
Should I do them at a community college or accredited university? Also how much more do you think I need to raise my gpa. Would a rise from 3.44 to a 3.5-3.55 be enough with a 512+ mcat?

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I do them at a community college or accredited university? Also how much more do you think I need to raise my gpa. Would a rise from 3.44 to a 3.5-3.55 be enough with a 512+ mcat?

ehhh, doesn't matter too much.. if the price is comparable and it's not too much hassle, you can do it at the university, but if not, it doesn't matter that much. I've seen many people who've taken a considerable amount of coursework at CCs get into some good schools. in response to your question about a 3.55, I think it depends on what state you're a resident of. If you're in CA or even NY, it's going to be an uphill battle, but it's super doable. People get in with those stats all the time... if you have strong ECs, you have a solid shot at a lower tier school. Just apply broadly and to appropriate schools, don't apply to places like Harvard, Sinai, etc and you'll be fine

ehhh, doesn't matter too much.. if the price is comparable and it's not too much hassle, you can do it at the university, but if not, it doesn't matter that much. I've seen many people who've taken a considerable amount of coursework at CCs get into some good schools. in response to your question about a 3.55, I think it depends on what state you're a resident of. If you're in CA or even NY, it's going to be an uphill battle, but it's super doable. People get in with those stats all the time... if you have strong ECs, you have a solid shot at a lower tier school. Just apply broadly and to appropriate schools, don't apply to places like Harvard, Sinai, etc and you'll be fine
I’m in Virginia

I’m in Virginia

I think Virginia has several MD programs with an in-state bias, so you're fine with a 3.55 for some of those schools... I would be surprised if at least one of them did not offer you an interview (this is, of course, assuming everything else in your app is solid).