How to rank? A&M, UTSW, UTMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txmd2b

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I thought I had my rankings set...but I'm having second thoughts. :confused: Any thoughts/opinions/advice?

UTMB - loved the curriculum & clinical contact, but seriously concerned about safety on the island & program reputation for residency?

UTSW - solid reputation, but is the competition level too stressful & what about minimal clinical contact until 3rd year? Also, are 3rd and 4th year students in a friendly teaching/learning environment in the clinic?

TX A&M - very friendly and encouring, but very concerned about their program strength/reputation. Despite split campus, Scott & White is very appealing...3rd & 4th years agreed environment is GREAT for learning - low stress.

Some say it doesn't matter where you go for medical school as long as you are comfortable in that location. I'm not convinced of this after chatting with residents. Any and all info is welcome...rankings are due soon. THANKS! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I have no opinion on those schools, but I must say Scott and White kicks ass. I interviewed there for a job and got to spend three days checking things out. The only reason I did not take the job was because of family issues....I kind of wish I had. :(

txmd2b said:
Hey guys,

I thought I had my rankings set...but I'm having second thoughts. :confused: Any thoughts/opinions/advice?

UTMB - loved the curriculum & clinical contact, but seriously concerned about safety on the island & program reputation for residency?

UTSW - solid reputation, but is the competition level too stressful & what about minimal clinical contact until 3rd year? Also, are 3rd and 4th year students in a friendly teaching/learning environment in the clinic?

TX A&M - very friendly and encouring, but very concerned about their program strength/reputation. Despite split campus, Scott & White is very appealing...3rd & 4th years agreed environment is GREAT for learning - low stress.

Some say it doesn't matter where you go for medical school as long as you are comfortable in that location. I'm not convinced of this after chatting with residents. Any and all info is welcome...rankings are due soon. THANKS! :oops:

UTMB--i work there and the contact i've had with students and residents, they liked it. I wouldn't worry too much about safety of the island...there are a number of nice places to live that aren't too expensive. The medical fraternities have housing and meal plans for cheap. Their program reputation is growing, but they definitely churn out good doctors. One of the things i've heard is that if you want some great opportunity, you have to find it and pursue...not a whole bunch of easy avenues toward them (this may just be a med school thing in general).

UTSW--good strong program. My perspective is that the students are a little more competitive compared to UTMB and A&M...perhaps its just because of the type of pre-med their recruit (the neurotic SDN type :D :thumbup: ). Great city but in a relatively bad part of town. Excellent experience for those interested in OB/GYN or Internal Medicine. Most attendings and residents are big on the social hierarchy. Kind of stressful, but they teach what they know and the students are driven to do their best.

A&M--Rising program...definitely newer when compared to the older UT schools. First two years in College Station is straight books with very limited if any clinical experience (perhaps some preceptorship experience, but no hospital setting). Second two years is straight clinical in Temple. i dont know too much about A&M except that I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the students seemed really down to earth....i think it was the split campus and limited clinical that really turned it off for me though.

This is just my opinion....if anyone has anything better, join in.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding the "competitiveness" of UTSW, I wanted to add a few things. I have quite a few friends there and have discussed this issue for a while. Baylor in Houston has the same reputation. However the ones that say this about the two schools are the students at all the other schools except UTSW and Baylor. Second, the students at both Baylor and UTSW work very hard because most of them have a very strong work ethic. But all of them go out of their way to help each other out also. There is a competitiveness in the sense that everyone wants to work hard to do well because the standards of "doing well" are very high. However, that does not mean people don't help each other out. If you go to either Baylor or UTSW, you'll be working very hard. But what you gain for that hard work is definitely worth it. Both schools have a great reputation at residency programs because of how prepared the students are as interns later on.

txmd2b said:
TX A&M - very friendly and encouring, but very concerned about their program strength/reputation.
It is top notch. When I interviewed there, the guy told me that a girl in his class chose A&M over Columbia. Not that it matters why I'm telling you this, but I'd do that too. And by the way, all three of those schools are top notch. All have great residency matches. It is all about the work you put out and where you want to go.

PMR TX MS said:
Regarding the "competitiveness" of UTSW, I wanted to add a few things. I have quite a few friends there and have discussed this issue for a while. Baylor in Houston has the same reputation. However the ones that say this about the two schools are the students at all the other schools except UTSW and Baylor. Second, the students at both Baylor and UTSW work very hard because most of them have a very strong work ethic. But all of them go out of their way to help each other out also. There is a competitiveness in the sense that everyone wants to work hard to do well because the standards of "doing well" are very high. However, that does not mean people don't help each other out. If you go to either Baylor or UTSW, you'll be working very hard. But what you gain for that hard work is definitely worth it. Both schools have a great reputation at residency programs because of how prepared the students are as interns later on.

I dont mean competitiveness as a bad thing or meant to put UTSW down. I was trying to say that it just seems an inherent part of the studeny body make-up. UTSW and Baylor attract top-notch students who are more than likely to have a strong work ethic and want to do as best as they can....thus in a sense they are competitive because they want the best for themselves. But yeah, UTSW and Baylor are still awesome.

txmd2b said:
Hey guys,

If you don't rank Southwestern first, then you're really missing something. It is by far the best school in the state, with the only comparable school being Baylor.

Texas A&M-- A community hospital in Temple is not comparable with the Dallas hospitals affiliated with UTSW. Not even close.

i am personally wondering why there is no discussion about UT-houston? Was I missing something on the interview that would make me think twice about ranking it higher than UTMB or UTSW? I like Houston, the TMC, and the school, so why should I rank the other schools ahead? Somebody please sell me by this specific comparison.

Thanks!!!

LaDoctorFutura said:
i am personally wondering why there is no discussion about UT-houston? Was I missing something on the interview that would make me think twice about ranking it higher than UTMB or UTSW? I like Houston, the TMC, and the school, so why should I rank the other schools ahead? Somebody please sell me by this specific comparison.

Thanks!!!

There was no discussion because it wasn't brought up by the OP.

But since you mentioned it....I say its a good school. All i know is that you are in class for the whole day and personally, i couldn't roll with that.

I've talked to either graduates or 4th year students of every school in Texas, and I don't remember one who was unhappy with his/her program. I only know about UTSW and A&M, so I'll comment on them which respectively I'm ranking 1 and 2.

UTSW seems pretty demanding of you and you really have to be on your game to make yourself stand out it seems. But the clinical training seems amazing. The school has so many top notch programs it seems, internal medicine, plastic surgery, derm, etc. Lots of research opportunities also. Class size will probably be in the 230's and grading policy might be an issue for some.

A&M seems pretty low key, not a research school. Clinicals require you to move more than an hour away to a relatively boring but safe town. Scott & White is impressive for its location though. Patient diversity isn't so great, mostly white conservative patient base. But school has an incredibly friendly feel which is helped by its small class size (80).

BaylorGuy said:
There was no discussion because it wasn't brought up by the OP.

But since you mentioned it....I say its a good school. All i know is that you are in class for the whole day and personally, i couldn't roll with that.

I think people make too big a deal out of school's lecture schedules (i.e. UTMB 8-12 and UTSW all day). If you don't want to go to lecture all day, then don't go. Contrary to popular opinion, lots of medical students skip class If you are an individual learner, then use your time the way you see fit. In my opinion, extra lecture is a good thing. It is just another resource for you to use or not use at your own discretion

The bottom line is that no matter what school you go to, is that you need "x" amount of knowledge to succeed at being a doctor and "y" amount of knowledge to do well on the USMLE. Regardless of how competitive your classmates are, or how many hours of lecture your school schedules, do whatever you need to get to "x" and "y"