How to reapply same year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigdan

SDN Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Group-
Hi. I'm planning on taking the April MCAT, but I KNOW I'm not the world's top standardized test taker. So...
If things go bad on the MCAT, and I have to retake in August, how does one go about letting schools (that I've already applied to in the beginning of the cycle ) know that I've retaken the MCAT and that (hopefully) I'm a better candidate post-Aug MCAT?
Do I resubmit the AMACAS? Do I have to personally contact them?
I apologize ahead of time if this is well explained elsewhere...
Thanks for your wisdom.

dc

Members don't see this ad.

When you get back your soncondaries, they will have box to check if your taking the August MCAT. I would also follow this up by calling the schools or with a letter. If you do have to take the August MCAT, some people have said that its better to hold off on submitting your secondaries until September. The reason being that some schools will see your April scores and decide to reject you without the August scores. Good luck.

I haven't heard of many schools rejecting an applicant before the August scores come in. In fact if I recall the AMCAS application does ask whether you are going to take the august MCAT. And they secondaries do have a spot to say that you are planning on taking the August MCAT

In my opinion, I would submit early as planned. Don't wait for the August scores to come in becasue you will be behind. An adcom told me once, that they put on a special MCAT hold, the applicants who are taking the August test. She said they set their applications aside in a seperate pile and then go through them once they get the scores. But they have them in house and are able to get to them when the scores come in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have your AMCAS app ready early. Then, once you receive your April scores in June, decide whether or not you will retake. You can check off the box that you will/will not be taking the August exam and submit your AMCAS... and voila! You're done with AMCAS :) (Well, you still have to be on top of the secondaries that you receive afterwards. This is what I did, and I was able to submit my AMCAS in June and most of my secondaries early.)

Guys-
Thanks.
So it sounds like I can wait until my scores are released to me from the April test, then submit my app with the indication as to whether or not I'll retake the August. And I should follow up on any secondaries, letting them know that I'd take the Aug. Sound okay?

dc

Originally posted by Mouseman
If you do have to take the August MCAT, some people have said that its better to hold off on submitting your secondaries until September. The reason being that some schools will see your April scores and decide to reject you without the August scores. Good luck.

Having done the AMCAS application in July, I was not prematurely rejected from any schools when I took the August 03 MCAT (I'd already taken it in April 02).

But the August MCAT will put you at a significant disadvantage for other reasons, so take it only if you KNOW you'll put in the extra time and effort that you could not have done in April. If you believe you can do at least a couple of points better, then go for it. :)