How to request LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ak47

flossy flossy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have some kinda dumb questions but I figured I would ask anyways

So I'm a junior right now...and apply to d-school next summer. I wanted to start getting my LOR soon but I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

Should I email and ask and then go drop off the stuff later? Should I make an appointment to talk to them and then bring the stuff later? What do I need to give them except my resume and transcript? Who do they mail the letter to or do I keep the letters? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

either's fine. for your first time with any given professor, asking in person's always preferred. give him a copy of your resume, and many also want your personal statement so make sure you have that too. include anything that'll help guide him for your letter. of course, you want to ask them much later, because they'll need the aadsas forms too. ask them in april and give them a month to write it. by may, you'll have the aadsas forms and when you send it to them, it'll serve as a reminder that the letters are due.

Each professor is different. First ask them (sometimes it is better in person so that they can remember who you are) and then they will tell you how they want to go about it. Whether it's setting up an appointment to talk with you a little or you just dropping/emailing them your information (any and everything that will help them write an awesome letter). Its great that AADSAS now has the email option so that you don't have to bother with the form. In any case it is kind of early to start asking for LOR for next cycle. I would wait till march or april so that you can have them when the app opens up in May.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school has a letter of evaluation service. They keep confidential letters on file. It's WAY better than using the AADSAS. Definitely use it if your school has one and then you can start collecting the letters early. Many schools have different letter requirements. I wish I knew this earlier. I think it's good to have the personal statement ready to show the professors even when they don't even ask for one because they get a feel on why you want to become dentist and include it in the letter. Good luck.

My school has a letter of evaluation service. They keep confidential letters on file. It's WAY better than using the AADSAS. Definitely use it if your school has one and then you can start collecting the letters early. Many schools have different letter requirements. I wish I knew this earlier. I think it's good to have the personal statement ready to show the professors even when they don't even ask for one because they get a feel on why you want to become dentist and include it in the letter. Good luck.
Yea my school has one too, in the career center. I would recommend this path because you can also hang on to LORs for a future cycle, or if the letter isn't geared towards dentistry, you can use it for something else later.

I might as well ask while the topic's relatively fresh :D

Is it necessary to wait until the spring to ask for the recommendation letter? I have some professors whom I was planning on asking for a LOR but I don't want to wait until next semester since they may forget who I am :p

Is there another alternative? Such as having them give it to the pre-dental advisors on campus? Or is it absolutely necessary to wait?

Thanks!

You can ask them whenever. I would ask them as soon as possible (usually within a year of your application is good)

Some good advice is:
1) Make a list of your extracirriculars to give to your professor, that way they can know some things you do outside of their classroom.
2) Ask them in the beginning of class if they would be willing to write you a letter, and be sure to get to know them outside of class (like office hours, e-mails, etc)
3) Give them a personal statement for why you want to be a dentist.

Having those things will make it easier for your professors to write about you, and half the time they will not even need to meet with you that often because you have given them so much information about yourself. I did this with all of my letters of rec, and most of them gave me a copy and they were really good letters.

I wrote 2 of my LORs. One prof asked me to write it, and I asked another if I could write it for him and give it to him to make adjustments as he saw fit. It was good because I had alot of control of what was put down and I geared the 2 letters to focus on different things. Chances are your professors have been asked many times before and they know the drill.

Have any of your professors ever wanted you to give them a stamped envelope along with your resume and personal statement? My professor who is going to send in the LOR by paper, did not say anything about it, so I was wondering, what the right thing to do was... :confused:
If yes, is there a specific kind? Sorry, dumb question...

Yeah its good to have your credentials for them to see but its better to ask a professor that already knows you because they can provide a better recommendation for you. IN most cases professors do not even require any information to complete a recommendation for you (unless they do not know you). Good luck.

Have any of your professors ever wanted you to give them a stamped envelope along with your resume and personal statement? My professor who is going to send in the LOR by paper, did not say anything about it, so I was wondering, what the right thing to do was... :confused:
If yes, is there a specific kind? Sorry, dumb question...

No one will directly ask you for the stamped envelope with it addressed and all but I think doing this for them is the least you can do. Just use a business sized envelope with a classy stamp ;]

What I would do is send an email saying you would like to set up an appointment and then say its regarding d-school so they have a heads up.