How to respectfully remind a PD about LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

At the end of my home sub-I, I asked my program director if he can write me a letter of recommendation. He agreed right away and asked me to send him my CV and he will send me a couple of questions to answer so he can write my letter.

It's been 2 weeks since I asked him and still no reply from him. I reminded him once and he never replied. What is the best course of action in this case? Should I just wait or send another reminder?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

At the end of my home sub-I, I asked my program director if he can write me a letter of recommendation. He agreed right away and asked me to send him my CV and he will send me a couple of questions to answer so he can write my letter.

It's been 2 weeks since I asked him and still no reply from him. I reminded him once and he never replied. What is the best course of action in this case? Should I just wait or send another reminder?

Start with his secretary/assistant/program coordinator. Truthfully those are the people that keep the wheels turning for a PD/chair/etc. Send a polite letter to that person, explain that you know Dr. PD has a lot on his plate but you are finishing up your ERAS application and wondering if there is anything else Dr. PD needs while they are finalizing your letter.

A million years ago when I was applying, I finally got my meeting with the chair of the department at my own institution to discuss my letter because I made friends with the secretary and after multiple cancelled meetings due to his other obligations, one day she called me while I was on my sub-I and whispered into the phone “he’s in his office, come over right now”. And then added a meeting with me onto his schedule and told him he’d forgot about it.

Make friends with the secretaries/admin assistants/PCs.

Reactions: 8 users
Agreed. The secretary for our PD was always setting up appointments for med students to meet with them and review their CV before preparing a LOR.

As a resident, I needed a LOR from my PD for fellowship. Super busy vascular surgeon. I reminded him every time I had a consult for him or we were in the OR. Still took a couple of weeks. I should've had his secretary nag him.