How to save large amounts of $$$

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not to criticize the main point, where living thriftily is a laudable goal, but when does that labor get in the way of more productive (and fulfilling) labor? I mean, I take consulting jobs to pay for the FT housekeeper. Much of the time involvement in saving money doesn't make sense when we are making about as much money as phone sex operators charge (a $1 a minute). Is there a particular reason why you don't work just a little more to save even more time? The ROI of consulting means that I can pay the tax penalty and the salary for about 160 additional hours a year, and you all could work about 200 hours more a year for a weekly housekeeper. Unless you like doing the domestic work of course or really can't stand adding another marginal hour to the job. I love the kitchen (even cleaning it), but this reads of being a chore and not fulfilling. Instead of doing so much domestic work, why not save that energy to do more productive OT?

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I don't get about you. If you are happy with being cheap and living on $900 a month, then why not quit your job or at least work less? Why keep on working when you obviously do not need to?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I want 3M brah... It's pure greed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Easiest way to save money: automation

I have $1500 deducted from my paycheck to max out my TSP before it is directed deposited. I also have another $1000 automatically diverted to Synchrony Bank savings account. So $2500 I automatically save and don't miss because I never see it in my checking account
Paying yourself first at it's finest. George Clason would be proud. Nice job!

My wifi is shared by two of my neighbours, they pay me and I pay 0. Never rent a modem/router from internet provider. Buy your own modem and router.

10 referral credit from cricket/yr. Making my cell phone bill $14/mo for 4gb data.

Liability car insurance only $32/mo.

NO cable TV, just free internet. See above.

I eat left over, my coworkers bring me food they are about to throw out coz they think it's bad. It's a perfectly good food, they just don't like to eat fridge food for a day or two, my techs always throw away food... Free food for me.

$1 toothpaste last me 6 months, 1 big shampoo last me 2-3 yrs, same disposable razor for 2 yrs. I don't grow a full beard just a mustache and some chin beard. I use hydrogen peroxide + baking soda to keep my teeth whites.

Cut my own hair, $20 saved every 2 months. Always consistent, no one fu3ks up my hair anymore :D

Always look for deal, never pay retail ever. A simple Google search of slickdeal will get you 20-50% discount.

Brownbag my lunch, buy groceries when they are on sale only. Buy and cook in bulk to save gas, time and electric.

Free all music/blueray movies with VPN download. Netflix friend's account, Amazon prime co-worker account.

Caffeine pill 200 mg/5 cents instead of starripoff coffee or energy drink if I get tired.

I go to Walmart and pick work shoes that costs $25 and less. Replace them every 2 yrs lol.

Rechargable batteries. AAA and AA.

Charge $2 max on my discover card monthly. They reimburse me for $2 credit/mo. Free $2/mo. Better balance rewards from bank of america gives me $30/every 3 months.

Keep many reusable bags on my car so I don't have to pay 10 cents for a bag to carry groceries. Fu3k CA.

I don't buy plastic bottled water ever. Drink filtered tap water. Bottled water is a waste of money. Most of the bottled water comes from municipal tap water.

Ally bank gives 1.15% interest saving account, free atm fee pull $10/mo reimbursed.

Vanguard gets more than half my net paycheck every 2 weeks. 95% stock (70% domestic/30% international with 30% to small cap value) and 5% CA municipal bond.

I never pay a cent of interest since I turned 18 to credit card company. I have 7 credit cards each giving me 1-5% cash back.

9 yr old Honda accord car, looking to keep for another 11 yrs until fully automated car with no steering wheel become the norm.

I always look up YouTube first whenever anything need fixing, never throw stuff away before trying to fix it myself.

I max out 401k yearly and normally I'd max out early in February since stocks has 60% positive chance in any given year. It makes sense to invest as early as possible.

I do backdoor Roth IRA 5.5k/year. All going to vanguard REITS.

I do my own taxes using Turbo Tax. This is controversial but I pirate the damn software for the past 7 years or borrow the disc from a friend. Saved me $50-60 each year lol.

I visit thrift stores you can pick up great clothes, and many items at 10-20% their original price.

I make my own washer fluid, water + a teaspoon of dish soap. Change my own oil, buy wipers at eBay for <$10 for a set.

Overall, I only spend about $800-900/mo including shelter, food, utilities. If I go out to eat with friends I don't put a limit for that. But, the rest the stuff people buy are just junk to me. Frugality is nothing to be ashamed of. Put a big smile and boast how cheap you can be and just laugh at *****s spending their money for stuff that doesn't matter (don't do what your techs do). I don't waste a lot of my time = money. Profit!
I'll tell you what pisses me off. The cost of greeting cards. With weddings, bdays, xmas, anniversaries i shell out hundreds a year on them. How is it they cost $5? Anyone know where to find them cheaper?

It's a shame your going to lose half when this market bursts before you get anywhere close to 3 million.

Completely pointless to live like that. While I don't waste money either on things like Starbucks or bottled water, we've never had a budget. We auto max everything plus contribute some to the kids college funds and spend the rest. No reason not to have a nice house and car when you can afford it. Coming out of school, no, but after that live your life

It's a shame your going to lose half when this market bursts before you get anywhere close to 3 million.

Completely pointless to live like that. While I don't waste money either on things like Starbucks or bottled water, we've never had a budget. We auto max everything plus contribute some to the kids college funds and spend the rest. No reason not to have a nice house and car when you can afford it. Coming out of school, no, but after that live your life
I never have a budget ever. Budget means you set a limit on each spending category. You budget if you can't control yourself. Budgetting sucks. I'm inherently minimalist and frugal. As long as I know my overhead is low, I know the savings will just keep building up.

Value is the eye of beholder. To me, saving $1k-2k extra/mo by not buying frivolous stuff and subscribe to junk stuff per month is valuable, maybe not to you or the majority here. To each his own.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll tell you what pisses me off. The cost of greeting cards. With weddings, bdays, xmas, anniversaries i shell out hundreds a year on them. How is it they cost $5? Anyone know where to find them cheaper?
I'd get them the cheapest greeting card that gets the message across. Maybe, buy bulk generic greeting cards that you can just write on. I'm guessing you are a millennial. We don't care about cards. Our life has been increasingly become digital, no more photo album, more cloud storage etc. I bet you don't care either about keeping greeting cards forever. I throw away greeting cards since they are just clutter.

I allow myself the car, but these are the traps that catch most people. I can't tell you how many people I've seen that, upon graduation, immediately bought the largest house they could get a loan for. Just empty space to fill just junk in my opinion. People raised entire families in much more modest houses a generation ago. When did we all get tricked into thinking you have to have a 3000+ sqft McMansion?

whats the harm if you're paying 100-110 psf on a mcmansion. With more boomers downsizing i may pull the trigger if i can get a 4000 sqft at ~90$psf. Maybe i just like American excess. I never had the luxury of a pool table, movie room, home gym,3 car garage,putting green. I am debating if the dogs should have their own bedrooms and bathroom.

Too long, I just want to get out with 1.25-1.5M plus house call it a day.

Reactions: 1 user
What are you going to do with your 3 million if you only spend $900 anyway? You can't take it with you when you die... wanna give them to me? I'll put them to good use lol

Dollar store. Same with gift bags. I stock up when I go and I have a drawer RTG when I get an invite.

Reactions: 1 users

That is probably not enough if one has kids that are planning to go to college in the U.S...

I grew up in Eastern Europe in what would be considered 1 bedrm apt, and the houses most Americans live in are enormous...I don't comprehend the need for a mcmansion at all...

Members don't see this ad :)
whats the harm if you're paying 100-110 psf on a mcmansion. With more boomers downsizing i may pull the trigger if i can get a 4000 sqft at ~90$psf. Maybe i just like American excess. I never had the luxury of a pool table, movie room, home gym,3 car garage,putting green. I am debating if the dogs should have their own bedrooms and bathroom.

I'd rather have a simple, smaller house at half the cost. A larger house is just more to maintain, more space to fill with more expensive junk that I don't need. An anchor that keeps you tied to your job and city.

I understand that everyone doesn't see it this way. I'd rather live below my means than be house poor.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd rather have a simple, smaller house at half the cost. A larger house is just more to maintain, more space to fill with more expensive junk that I don't need. An anchor that keeps you tied to your job and city.

I understand that everyone doesn't see it this way. I'd rather live below my means than be house poor.

This is why you don't live in these ridiculously expensive areas. A $300k house, is a mcmansion in my area and that's a pretty cheap payment.

My wifi is shared by two of my neighbours, they pay me and I pay 0. Never rent a modem/router from internet provider. Buy your own modem and router.

10 referral credit from cricket/yr. Making my cell phone bill $14/mo for 4gb data.

Liability car insurance only $32/mo.

NO cable TV, just free internet. See above.

I eat left over, my coworkers bring me food they are about to throw out coz they think it's bad. It's a perfectly good food, they just don't like to eat fridge food for a day or two, my techs always throw away food... Free food for me.

$1 toothpaste last me 6 months, 1 big shampoo last me 2-3 yrs, same disposable razor for 2 yrs. I don't grow a full beard just a mustache and some chin beard. I use hydrogen peroxide + baking soda to keep my teeth whites.

Cut my own hair, $20 saved every 2 months. Always consistent, no one fu3ks up my hair anymore :D

Always look for deal, never pay retail ever. A simple Google search of slickdeal will get you 20-50% discount.

Brownbag my lunch, buy groceries when they are on sale only. Buy and cook in bulk to save gas, time and electric.

Free all music/blueray movies with VPN download. Netflix friend's account, Amazon prime co-worker account.

Caffeine pill 200 mg/5 cents instead of starripoff coffee or energy drink if I get tired.

I go to Walmart and pick work shoes that costs $25 and less. Replace them every 2 yrs lol.

Rechargable batteries. AAA and AA.

Charge $2 max on my discover card monthly. They reimburse me for $2 credit/mo. Free $2/mo. Better balance rewards from bank of america gives me $30/every 3 months.

Keep many reusable bags on my car so I don't have to pay 10 cents for a bag to carry groceries. Fu3k CA.

I don't buy plastic bottled water ever. Drink filtered tap water. Bottled water is a waste of money. Most of the bottled water comes from municipal tap water.

Ally bank gives 1.15% interest saving account, free atm fee pull $10/mo reimbursed.

Vanguard gets more than half my net paycheck every 2 weeks. 95% stock (70% domestic/30% international with 30% to small cap value) and 5% CA municipal bond.

I never pay a cent of interest since I turned 18 to credit card company. I have 7 credit cards each giving me 1-5% cash back.

9 yr old Honda accord car, looking to keep for another 11 yrs until fully automated car with no steering wheel become the norm.

I always look up YouTube first whenever anything need fixing, never throw stuff away before trying to fix it myself.

I max out 401k yearly and normally I'd max out early in February since stocks has 60% positive chance in any given year. It makes sense to invest as early as possible.

I do backdoor Roth IRA 5.5k/year. All going to vanguard REITS.

I do my own taxes using Turbo Tax. This is controversial but I pirate the damn software for the past 7 years or borrow the disc from a friend. Saved me $50-60 each year lol.

I visit thrift stores you can pick up great clothes, and many items at 10-20% their original price.

I make my own washer fluid, water + a teaspoon of dish soap. Change my own oil, buy wipers at eBay for <$10 for a set.

Overall, I only spend about $800-900/mo including shelter, food, utilities. If I go out to eat with friends I don't put a limit for that. But, the rest the stuff people buy are just junk to me. Frugality is nothing to be ashamed of. Put a big smile and boast how cheap you can be and just laugh at *****s spending their money for stuff that doesn't matter (don't do what your techs do). I don't waste a lot of my time = money. Profit!

:wow:

This is why you don't live in these ridiculously expensive areas. A $300k house, is a mcmansion in my area and that's a pretty cheap payment.
Prices are similar in my area (pretty low cost area in the south). I could have a 300k giant house, but I'm living in a 100k house. 3 beds, 2 baths and about 1300 sqft. Honestly, I could go even smaller and be comfortable.

I should say that I have no plan to have kids, so that reduces my need for space. I think my ideal place would be a 2 bedroom townhouse with no lawn to maintain.

Keeping up with Joneses is real in a lot of people. They gotta show off that 4000 sqft to friends and family to feel better. More expensive utilities, tax, more junk but hey I gotta look I'm successful.

Why don't your two neighbors just get their own and cut you out?

Keeping up with Joneses is real in a lot of people. They gotta show off that 4000 sqft to friends and family to feel better. More expensive utilities, tax, more junk but hey I gotta look I'm successful.

It has nothing to do with showing off. I'm not going to be buried with it so might as well spend it. Plus, there will still be plenty left when we do die.

The basketball court, pool, theatre, etc all get used daily.

because they each pay half of what they would do on their own - since it is on each side of him, one probably can't reach the other side. All three people win.

How would that benefit them? They would still be cutting the bill two ways. They might not even realize they are getting "scammed" - how would they know it's being shared three ways but not split three ways?

Not to criticize the main point, where living thriftily is a laudable goal, but when does that labor get in the way of more productive (and fulfilling) labor? I mean, I take consulting jobs to pay for the FT housekeeper. Much of the time involvement in saving money doesn't make sense when we are making about as much money as phone sex operators charge (a $1 a minute). Is there a particular reason why you don't work just a little more to save even more time? The ROI of consulting means that I can pay the tax penalty and the salary for about 160 additional hours a year, and you all could work about 200 hours more a year for a weekly housekeeper. Unless you like doing the domestic work of course or really can't stand adding another marginal hour to the job. I love the kitchen (even cleaning it), but this reads of being a chore and not fulfilling. Instead of doing so much domestic work, why not save that energy to do more productive OT?
I hear this all the time, but I don't want to do any more work related to pharmacy. In fact right now I'm down to 3 x 10 hrs Tue-Thurs with full benefits, so I have Fri-Mon off and I'm loving it. I won't say I love doing chores, but since there's no boss/client/customer demanding that I do a better job, it takes the pressure and burden out of it so it's not so bad. Some things I even enjoy like detailing my cars, home repairs and improvement projects, and of course finding ways to save money and searching for deals.

How would that benefit them? They would still be cutting the bill two ways. They might not even realize they are getting "scammed" - how would they know it's being shared three ways but not split three ways?

It would benefit them with one less person downloading. But @Dred Pirate brings up a good point that the neighbors probably can't get a router that reaches two doors down so it has to be in momus's house.

I hear this all the time, but I don't want to do any more work related to pharmacy. In fact right now I'm down to 3 x 10 hrs Tue-Thurs with full benefits, so I have Fri-Mon off and I'm loving it. I won't say I love doing chores, but since there's no boss/client/customer demanding that I do a better job, it takes the pressure and burden out of it so it's not so bad. Some things I even enjoy like detailing my cars, home repairs and improvement projects, and of course finding ways to save money and searching for deals.
Where do you have this sweet gig at? I want this in my 40's lol

How did you get them to agree to let you work just 30 hours a week?

How did you get them to agree to let you work just 30 hours a week?

It was their idea, to be able to reduce staffing when it's slow, just like floaters only getting 30-32 hrs guaranteed. Some people dread it, probably those with loans, mortgage, childcare, private school, and Mercedes payments to make. Others like me are in the financial position to take advantage of the extra time off.

It was their idea, to be able to reduce staffing when it's slow, just like floaters only getting 30-32 hrs guaranteed. Some people dread it, probably those with loans, mortgage, childcare, private school, and Mercedes payments to make. Others like me are in the financial position to take advantage of the extra time off.
if I could get that schedule I would do it in a heart beat - my problem is my job would end up scheduling me mon, tues, friday or something like that (not a set schedule) and I would never get the long weekend.

Are you concern that they may cut your hours further and therefore, you would no longer qualify for benefits?

Are you concern that they may cut your hours further and therefore, you would no longer qualify for benefits?

No, the majority of positions are still 40 hrs, so they would probably cut hours there first. They do actually want to keep us on payroll because during the busy season everyone gets 40 hrs and even some OT.

No, the majority of positions are still 40 hrs, so they would probably cut hours there first. They do actually want to keep us on payroll because during the busy season everyone gets 40 hrs and even some OT.

But it's the benefits they usually try to cut. Cutting the 40 hour positions doesn't really help them, cutting the 32 hour positions does. They like to keep floaters at 32 hours because when people call in sick, the floaters will be more eager to cover shifts.

I think the real point here is everyone should be terrified of unemployment all the time and if you enjoy any part of your job expect to have it taken from you or at the very least expect for conditions to deteriorate until you hate it.

But it's the benefits they usually try to cut. Cutting the 40 hour positions doesn't really help them, cutting the 32 hour positions does. They like to keep floaters at 32 hours because when people call in sick, the floaters will be more eager to cover shifts.
Well if they cut the benefits, I for one, would probably leave. We have extremely few part timers and the ones I know get benefits through their spouses or another full time job, and they generally don't want to work much, or are only available for 8-16 hrs/wk. So if the flex staff leave, there won't be anyone available to increase on demand. Instead everyone will be at 40 hrs already so they'll have to pay OT, and the part timers have very limited availability. So I think it's mutually beneficial for the employer and employees to have some 30 hr flex staff with benefits.

I have been thinking about going part-time but I am concerned that they would reduce my hours one day and I would not qualify for benefits. I would miss my 401 k and its match.

I am still in my 30s. I want to remain active. I think if I totally stopped working now, I would not be "employable" if and when I decide to re-enter the job market.

Has anyone else gone from full time to part time lately? How did you approach it?

I have been thinking about going part-time but I am concerned that they would reduce my hours one day and I would not qualify for benefits. I would miss my 401 k and its match.

I am still in my 30s. I want to remain active. I think if I totally stopped working now, I would not be "employable" if and when I decide to re-enter the job market.

Has anyone else gone from full time to part time lately? How did you approach it?

i just went from 40 to 30 hours weekly actually at a new retailer/job. I am also interested in health and 401k, 30 hours is the minimum at many retails...Since I'm not even 30 yet I cannot fully retire but plan to by 40-45ish. I agree if you step out completely its hard to regain employment, I would always stay on as PRN even if it means garbage assignments.

i just asked for 30 hours to the pic/dm upfront and they gave it. Ive since been asked to go to 40 which i probably will due to the increase in allotted vacation. Life is hard!!

also live in BFE, USA where homes can be had ~80$ psf and no real rph saturation.

I went to 32 hrs a week a year and a half ago, just after I paid off everything. I flexed seniority in getting it, they don't like part time, benefitted positions at our hospital. Thankfully we're unionized so the newbies would be the first to be cut. I have considered going all the way to per diem but the $ is too good at this stage. My eventual plan is to teach at the local junior college and work per diem. I haven't gone that route quite yet because, as you say, re-entering the market can be (and will continue to be) tough.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I just stopped caring. As long as I'm a) maxing out retirement, b) not incurring new debt, c) have ample emergency funds, d) am frugal at specific points (car, etc...) I'm just going to spend the money that yields me the most time and satisfaction.

That means: valet parking, non-stop flights, extra guacamole, picking the nicer/closer hotel, truffle shavings, and turning on the a/c even when it's peak pricing.

If I'm going to spend 30mins trying to improve my own bottom line, I'm better off trying to improve an existing income stream vs. cutting a trivial expense that would likely cost me more time later.

The income multiplier is much more on the income/time side than expense/time.

Let's discuss cord cutting: I'm sick of paying my cable bill. Considering just using streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Showtime), etc. for much cheaper. Looking into Amazon Firestick, I have xbox and can access all the apps through it... there are a lot of avenues these days. Maybe buy an antenna too?

Anyone have experience with the above and could point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Let's discuss cord cutting: I'm sick of paying my cable bill. Considering just using streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Showtime), etc. for much cheaper. Looking into Roku or Amazon Firestick... there are a lot of avenues these days. Maybe buy an antenna too?

Anyone have experience with the above and could point me in the right direction?
I did it a couple years ago. I have hulu plus and Netflix. I also use an antenna for local programming. I've used both Roku and apple TV. Both work well. I currently have a TV with apps like hulu, Netflix, Amazon prime and YouTube built in, so I don't need any other devices anymore to stream shows. I don't miss cable at all. I felt like cable and satellite companies constantly wanted to rip me off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Youtube looks like its streaming service will work for us since it has the live Sports stuff. Bonus we can bring it with us when were out of town.

At this point even if I spend the same amount I don't want Comcast to have any of it. Screw em.

Let's discuss cord cutting: I'm sick of paying my cable bill. Considering just using streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Showtime), etc. for much cheaper. Looking into Amazon Firestick, I have xbox and can access all the apps through it... there are a lot of avenues these days. Maybe buy an antenna too?

I use Roku with Directv Now. The only part I dislike is the individual network apps make me reconfirm my subscriptions pretty often. Its not too onerous but it does get annoying sometimes. I also do not love the directv interface (he seems why I use the individual network apps instead). I also use Hulu plus and Netflix. No regrets, I get all the channels I want and everything I like is on demand so no need to set up recordings and such.

Just use Kodi... Free...

Ask your friend to share Netflix, Amazon prime. 1/2 off. Or, Free for me XD Thanks for my friend lol.

There is not enough time on the day to be watching TV all the time. Having cable subs is stupid.

I did it a couple years ago. I have hulu plus and Netflix. I also use an antenna for local programming. I've used both Roku and apple TV. Both work well. I currently have a TV with apps like hulu, Netflix, Amazon prime and YouTube built in, so I don't need any other devices anymore to stream shows. I don't miss cable at all. I felt like cable and satellite companies constantly wanted to rip me off.

It really is like dealing with the mob. What other organization is run the way cable/satellite is? They literally have designated zones where they give coverage or don't. The funniest part is you can't get rid of them. Who else provides internet services? As the cord cutting trend continues to spread, expect to see more data caps and bandwidth reductions along with price increases to bypass them.

It really is like dealing with the mob. What other organization is run the way cable/satellite is? They literally have designated zones where they give coverage or don't. The funniest part is you can't get rid of them. Who else provides internet services? As the cord cutting trend continues to spread, expect to see more data caps and bandwidth reductions along with price increases to bypass them.

All utilities. The major issue is that internet service providers are not regulated in the US as utilities, not even as a telecom industry which has utility regulations applying to them. If you're going to cry "then pass the law", remember that much of utilities infrastructure was laid down by the government and was done so through grants from passing REA and EWA. On the other hand, civilian fiber was mostly laid down by private companies, and as such, are like the railways where there is an oversight committee that has very limited means of dealing with them.

Just cut my cable tv today... feels good man. Appreciate the advice of everyone here.

I use Roku with Directv Now. The only part I dislike is the individual network apps make me reconfirm my subscriptions pretty often. Its not too onerous but it does get annoying sometimes. I also do not love the directv interface (he seems why I use the individual network apps instead). I also use Hulu plus and Netflix. No regrets, I get all the channels I want and everything I like is on demand so no need to set up recordings and such.

I meant to respond to you earlier, was curious how much the Directv Now thing costs ya per month?

Just cut my cable tv today... feels good man. Appreciate the advice of everyone here.

I meant to respond to you earlier, was curious how much the Directv Now thing costs ya per month?

I got it on a special that AT&T was running for $10 a month. At that price it’s a steal. I don’t know how much more than that I would be willing to pay though. Probably not too much more.

Go to the cheapest Pharmacy school that accepts you and work in your free time and save while in school and when you are done stay with your parents and work overtime in a rural area that need a lot of pharmacist help. I am proud to say that I did it lol.