How to save pathology immediately

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean, it depends on the case mix. 20 cases a day in a GU field if it's mostly prostate biopsies and resections or breast resections is a heavy load. If it's all GI biopsies and skin shaves it's a tiny load. Look at it by slide totals if you like - 20 cases can be 20 slides or it can be 500 slides.

But 5-6 cases a day grossing is insane, even if it's all colon cancers. Our lead PA does north of 100 total cases a day and that includes all types of big cases.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, it depends on the case mix. 20 cases a day in a GU field if it's mostly prostate biopsies and resections or breast resections is a heavy load. If it's all GI biopsies and skin shaves it's a tiny load. Look at it by slide totals if you like - 20 cases can be 20 slides or it can be 500 slides.

But 5-6 cases a day grossing is insane, even if it's all colon cancers. Our lead PA does north of 100 total cases a day and that includes all types of big cases.

FLY1's lab reportedly has 3 residents on Surgical Pathology at any time, and there are ~69 cases / day (for annual accession of #18,000).

Suppose the PA in his lab did 15 cases of biopsy transfers / day, that means each of the resident does ~18 cases / day at the worst.
(I suspect the PA will be doing more than 15 cases / day, but I was just using a conservative estimate).

FLY1 reports grossing on average 2 large cancer specimens / day, with the rest (16 cases) being small benign stuff.

Unless a radical prostatectomy or bilateral tumour mastectomy was one of the large cancer specmiens,
I can't imagine this exceeding 100 blocks / day for one resident, so the grossing load sounds rather chill...

Anyhow I'm more shocked that they have 9 people on for CP/Forensics/Autopsy!

Do these labs/hospitals have lots of autopsies or something???