How to specialize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Serpent98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am going to begin college next year while undertaking a pre-med curriculum. I was wondering about how I would specialize in something such as a neurosurgery insted of a general sergeon.

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa there, cowboy. Firstly, wrong thread. Secondly, here are a few steps to accomplish before you jump from senior year in high school straight into neurosurgery.

Step 0: start college
Step 1: take your pre-med courses
Step 2: reconsider medicine/meaning of life during the quarter/semester you're taking biochem, labs, physics, calc on top of research and late night volunteering while all your other friends are partying and somehow still getting As (how?!)
Step 3: get into med school
Step 4: ????
Step 5: congrats. you're now an attending neurosurgeon at GMSH (greatest medical school + hospital)

lol jk. But I wouldn't think about specializing now. You haven't shadowed nearly enough to make such claims about differentiating between surgical specialties, let alone deciding whether you want to be MD/DO over a host of other solid options and avenues in health care. Enjoy your summer. Enjoy college and do well. Do research and volunteer in areas that naturally interest you. I'm guessing you're probably leaning towards neuroscience already, but you'll be surprised to find out things you thought you liked you actually hate and you'll discover new fields you love. That's college for you. So yeah. Go to college first.

Reactions: 1 users
Whoa there, cowboy. Firstly, wrong thread. Secondly, here are a few steps to accomplish before you jump from senior year in high school straight into neurosurgery.

Step 0: start college
Step 1: take your pre-med courses
Step 2: reconsider medicine/meaning of life during the quarter/semester you're taking biochem, labs, physics, calc on top of research and late night volunteering while all your other friends are partying and somehow still getting As (how?!)
Step 3: get into med school
Step 4: ????
Step 5: congrats. you're now an attending neurosurgeon at GMSH (greatest medical school + hospital)

lol jk. But I wouldn't think about specializing now. You haven't shadowed nearly enough to make such claims about differentiating between surgical specialties, let alone deciding whether you want to be MD/DO over a host of other solid options and avenues in health care. Enjoy your summer. Enjoy college and do well. Do research and volunteer in areas that naturally interest you. I'm guessing you're probably leaning towards neuroscience already, but you'll be surprised to find out things you thought you liked you actually hate and you'll discover new fields you love. That's college for you. So yeah. Go to college first.
I typed in "GMSH Med School" into google and the first link was "Gay Mens Sexual Health Research Group"

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I typed in "GMSH Med School" into google and the first link was "Gay Mens Sexual Health Research Group"
Yeah, I often greet people as a front door volunteer at Greatest Medical School + Hospital who are looking for that research group instead.

Yeah, I often greet people as a front door volunteer at Greatest Medical School + Hospital who are looking for that research group instead.
It's nice of you to do that for them. The GMSH research lab should be able to write you a great LOR

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Ok thx for the feedback. And I realized after I posted that this was the wrong thread.

Nothing wrong with trying to figure out. For neurosurgery you just have to match into neurosurgery residency which is 7 years training. (Easier said then done to match. First get good grades in school, destroy MCAT, and get into the best medical school you can first)