Medical How to Stay Within Essay Word Limits by Reducing Verbal Verbosity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stay-Within-Essay-Word-Limits-1024x512.jpg

Most applicants – whether applying to med school, law school, business school, or any other grad school or college program – need to deal with rigid character or word limits when writing their application essays or personal statements. You may start out thinking that you have nothing to write, but generally, once applicants begin writing, they find they have too much to say! To keep within those pesky word limits, you need to make sure you keep your writing succinct. How? Check your verbs. Poor usage of verbs creates verbosity. Effective use contributes to concision.

Here are a few techniques, followed by examples:

1. Get rid of unnecessary helping verbs.

Verbose: She is going to be applying to ten medical schools.
Succinct: She will apply to ten medical schools.

2. Replace adverbs that assist prosaic verbs with a simple, expressive verb.

Verbose: He responded enthusiastically…
Succinct: He enthused… OR He gushed…

3. Forget about “taking advantage of the opportunity to do X.”

Verbose: I took advantage of the opportunity to do research on…
Succinct: I researched…

4. Seek the verbs in nouns.

Verbose: I came to the conclusion…
Succinct: I concluded…​

These editing techniques will help you trim your long-winded, verbose, never ending essays into concise, engaging, and highly readable admissions masterpieces.

Do you need help editing your essay so it shines? Write an impressive application essay that will get you accepted with the assistance of an Accepted admissions pro. Check out our MBA Essay Editing Services for more information.

Related Resources:

16 Grad School Application Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make, a podcast episode
Identifying the Ingredients of a Winning Application Essay
‘Twas the Night Before Deadlines: A Cautionary Tale of Cliches
-------------------------
This article was originally posted on blog.accepted.com.
Applying to medical school? The talented folks at Accepted have helped hundreds of applicants like you get accepted to their dream programs. Whether you are figuring out where apply, working on your AMCAS application, working on secondary essays, or prepping for your interviews, we are just a call (or click) away. Contact us, and get matched up with the consultant who will help you get accepted!

Members don't see this ad.