How to stop thinking about Match day....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CariBeaner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I bought a second dog to keep myself busy... in retrospect this may have been hasty... :laugh: Anyone else preoccupied with thinking about match day?

Members don't see this ad.

My strategy is to drink a glass of wine every night and watch as much mindless TV as I possible can...Tonight is Deal or No Deal and then Heroes! :D

Monday nights on VH1 = I Love New York! </embarassment>

Members don't see this ad :)
Real housewives of Orange County.

My strategy is to drink a glass of wine every night and watch as much mindless TV as I possible can...Tonight is Deal or No Deal and then Heroes! :D
They had to make Heroes a "to be continued" episode. Now I have two unsettled dramas to deal with for the next week!:confused:

They had to make Heroes a "to be continued" episode. Now I have two unsettled events to deal with for the next week!:confused:

Yeah, but Heroes won't be back until the end of April! At least the match angst will be over relatively soon. :p

They had to make Heroes a "to be continued" episode. Now I have two unsettled events to deal with for the next week!:confused:

LOL. I was like "WTF! Noooooooooooo!" (Yes, this is the life of a 4th-year :D )

One thing Psychology (not psychiatry) teaches us is one of the most frustrating and anxiety provoking things is when something of great import is beyond your control and you just have to wait for the result.

Easier said than done---just wait it out. Won't do any good to worry and it won't change the outcome.

One thing Psychology (not psychiatry) teaches us is one of the most frustrating and anxiety provoking things is when something of great import is beyond your control and you just have to wait for the result.

Easier said than done---just wait it out. Won't do any good to worry and it won't change the outcome.
Psychology teaches us to wait it out; psychiatry teaches us to medicate it. Pass the wine, maranatha!

Members don't see this ad :)
ha! are you preparing yourself for a residency at UCI?
how is that show anyway?

The shows catch phrase describes it perfectly "Orange county, where the boobs are fake but the diamonds are real". It's just hilarious to see how out of touch with reality these people are.

I've increased my one glass of wine a night to two glasses...By Monday I'll be getting out the Jack. :laugh:

What's worse is that I've taken to watching American Idol! :eek:

"Beware the Ides of March"!!!

The shows catch phrase describes it perfectly "Orange county, where the boobs are fake but the diamonds are real". It's just hilarious to see how out of touch with reality these people are.

I think med school has put me pretty out of touch with reality. I guess in a different sort of way though.

I've increased my one glass of wine a night to two glasses...By Monday I'll be getting out the Jack. :laugh:

What's worse is that I've taken to watching American Idol! :eek:

"Beware the Ides of March"!!!

But at least Monday you'll know that you matched -- I'm really nervous about that day!

it is easier for me to forget about match day since i am travelling. right now in asia. will be on a flight to europe one hour after i find out where i match. it would be great way to celebrate/mourn. of course in poland the vodka will be plentiful enuff to medicate myself in either case.

i'll be getting on a plane to italy 4 hours after the results are out. i figure its going to be an awesome plane ride or a totally miserable one. my only worry is that i am going with a friend who is attempting to match into anesthesia .... and the odds of him being miserable are higher than mine - and i'll feel awful the whole trip if i match and he doesn't. fingers crossed for both of us!

wat up my fellow psych peeps??

I'm just reading all this "leaving the country stuff", and I'd like to add that I too will be flying out of the country. I'm doing an international elective in Beijing to learn Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture at the end of March. No more Zoloft or Zyprexa for depression...I'm gonna twist some needles in your back and make sure the furniture in your house has the right "feng shui"....you know what I'm saying? I think you know wat I'm sayin!!

P.S. hopefully my plane trip is happy with the match results...I'll be flying with a psych applicant who already matched...but he's military---lucky bastard! hahahahaah :rolleyes:
:D

Someone take me with you... maybe someone atleast wants to plan an imaginary trip with me... say Costa Rica? :rolleyes:

Myself and 3 friends (hopefully everyone matches!) will be leaving 2 days after the match to do our final "rotation" in Budapest for a month- elective consists of being in the hospital 3 mornings a week:) ... then 2 weeks of travel. We're thinking beaches in Greece so that we can show up to orientation nice and tan before being locked away in the sunless world of internship.

I'm jealous of all you jet-setters! Having a two year old and a pregnant wife means my travel plans are limited to.....nowhere. I did take the week off after the match, but we are just going wherever I match to look for a house.

Other than LOST I have no distractions until thursday... with not getting to leave the country I have too much time. Any good movies worth seeing?

... I want to be sedated...

"Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be sedated
Nothin' to do and no where to go-o-oh I wanna be sedated
Just get me to the airport put me on a plane
Hurry hurry hurry before I go insane
I can't control my fingers I can't control my brain....."

"Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be sedated
Nothin' to do and no where to go-o-oh I wanna be sedated
Just get me to the airport put me on a plane
Hurry hurry hurry before I go insane
I can't control my fingers I can't control my brain....."

It's been going through my head all week.

I thought I was strong.

oh oH OH OH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Psychology teaches us to wait it out; psychiatry teaches us to medicate it. Pass the wine, maranatha!

There are definitely times when psycholoy misses and psychiatry nails things on the head...and this is one of them! :laugh:

I'll be going through this later this year, so i'll be doing a similar thread over in psych.....don't worry, i'll take the best suggestions from here too.....because in both psychology and psychiatry...we know that re-inventing the wheel is stupid, though pharma companies have taught us that if we can get exclusive patent rights by changing a spoke on the wheel.....we should do it!!

-t

I've sadly been burning too many hours playing buffy the video game.

Less than 40 hours to go...

I thought that game was awful, but I played through it too because I was such a big fan of the show.

Once x-files and Buffy went off, things haven't been the same.
:(

Heroes doesn't cut it for me, and the other dramas seem lifeless and uninspiring. Thank God for Adult Swim.

Heroes doesn't cut it for me, and the other dramas seem lifeless and uninspiring.

Yeah, miss x-files, too. :( Scully was HOT! LOL. Although i'm into heroes.

BTW, cool new avatar, sazi...:laugh:

I thought that game was awful, but I played through it too because I was such a big fan of the show.

Heroes doesn't cut it for me, and the other dramas seem lifeless and uninspiring. Thank God for Adult Swim.

I bought both games recently (original and Chaos Bleeds), knowing I'd have a little extra free time this year. Just got around to playing them. The original is mediocre, but chaos bleeds is quite alright. You get to play as sid the dummy!:smuggrin:

I played the buffy that came out on x-box about five years ago. I liked it even though I didn't watch the show. I agree with you about adult swim. My wife even bought me all four seasons of futurama on dvd for our anniversary!

I'm totally addicted to a ps2 game called devil may cry 3. Anyone else out there love this game?

Been playing final fantasy vi on the ol' gameboy, myself.

is going to bed tonight going to be even worth it.?

I like the analogy of chistmas proposed above, I feel like a kid again-- I just wish there were presents under the tree for me to pick up and shake... maybe I could do that instead of sleep.

T-minus Three Hours....

I've done the dishes and swept the floor. now I'm cleaning the front room. Pretty soon I'll be able to see the carpet. Then what will I do?!! What will I do with 2 hours left!??!?!?!?!? Mop? --ooh you're low, you're low...

Curse you match day!!! Curse the day you were born!!!!!!!!!!!

T-minus ninetyyyyyyyyyyyy

this waiting is TooooRRrrrttture... Along with the crystal ball I wish I had when making my rank list, I now add a time machine to my wish list of gadgets needed to make this process move more smoothly..:hungover: