How to study detroyer???? Advice..Destroyer, practice tests, ect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dano474

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have nearly completed with the review portion of my DAT preparations. I have been following the Chad's Version of Dental works study program and have a few questions that I'd like some advice on since I have seen many diffrent things on the forum. So I have done chads(all subjects), KBB(bio), and cliffs. The remainder of my studies will be with DAT destroyer, Math Destroyer, Crack PAT, and Top Score??

So....

1) The first time you go through DAT destroyer, what is the best method? ----->Should I time myself? use notes? check answers after each question or section? ect?

2) The dental works study program doesn't involve any practice tests(TopScore) apart from the Destroyer questions, math destroyer practice tests and Crack Pat tests.
---->Would you suggest taking and other practice tests and if so when and what tests??

as a side note... as i am browsing through destroyer I am getting nervous that I wont know how to do things like the gen chem i did a month ago and have to go back through all of it.. Is this what you have found to be true or this a good time to go back and solidify things?

thanks in advance for any comments. Underestimated sdn until i dug in and realized its potential!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1---Definitely don't time yourself when using Destroyer....at least I didn't. I found the most time saving method was to do about 10 questions at a time and then check the answers. I used notes, since I was constantly referring back.

So I have nearly completed with the review portion of my DAT preparations. I have been following the Chad's Version of Dental works study program and have a few questions that I'd like some advice on since I have seen many diffrent things on the forum. So I have done chads(all subjects), KBB(bio), and cliffs. The remainder of my studies will be with DAT destroyer, Math Destroyer, Crack PAT, and Top Score??

So....

1) The first time you go through DAT destroyer, what is the best method? ----->Should I time myself? use notes? check answers after each question or section? ect?

2) The dental works study program doesn't involve any practice tests(TopScore) apart from the Destroyer questions, math destroyer practice tests and Crack Pat tests.
---->Would you suggest taking and other practice tests and if so when and what tests??

as a side note... as i am browsing through destroyer I am getting nervous that I wont know how to do things like the gen chem i did a month ago and have to go back through all of it.. Is this what you have found to be true or this a good time to go back and solidify things?

thanks in advance for any comments. Underestimated sdn until i dug in and realized its potential!!

I went through Destroyer twice, taking about 10 days each. The first time through, I just went through the problems and then checked my answers, circling wrong answers and making sure I was 100% sure what I did wrong and why the correct answer was indeed correct. I treated the second run-through like a review. I meticulously relearned any problems I missed the second time and studied those reactions/topics longer than the others.

For Practice Tests, I personally don't have experience with TopScore, but the more tests you can take, the more prepared you'll be. I thought Achiever was pretty good practice (although much more difficult than the real DAT), the 2007 and 2009 ADA exams were great, and DATqVault was useful for the biology section.

Do not time yourself the first time you start using any book. Take notes. Make sure you understand every problem and its solution. Once you think you are ready. Take a set of questions that you have never seen before and try to answer them. See how many you get right. Hope this helped. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

So....

This is what I did, but I also had time constraints. I made sure I had already done Chad before hitting destroyer. I did 25 gen chem questions at a time, then I would go back and evaluate each one. I was only able to go through gen chem once in destroyer but got a 22 on DAT.
For orgo I maybe did 50 but I thought they were way more complicated than necessary so I just concentrated on road maps. Between Chad and road maps I got a 24.
Just bite off small chunks at a time and use it as a learning tool not for your timing.

At the very least take the ADA 2009 test.

Whatever you do, never time yourself when studying questions for the first time. Make sure you know all the important concepts and their implementations. Then, solve some questions at your oqn pace without any clock ticking. Once you are confident at solvig problems, approach new problems with speed. Good luck.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk