How to study for OAT!?

sanaaa13

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I graduated from undergrad in may (3.53 gpa and 3.0sgpa), and I am planning to take my OAT in 2.5 months. I was wondering what I should use to study!? I don’t really remember anything from my bio physics and chem classes so I’m basically teaching myself everything from the beginning. I’m not sure how I even got through college cuz I feel like I learned absolutely nothing.

I’m not sure if I should use ferali’s bio notes or DAT bootcamps. I’m also not sure how to go about memorizing it because there’s so much information it’s extremely intimidating. It seems humanly impossible to me that’s one one can learn and memorize all that info in 2 months. I’m horrible at studying and have terrible memory so I’m not sure how to go about it.

The resources I was planning on using were chads videos and OAT booster.

If anyone can suggest a study schedule for someone re teaching every subject to themselves from the very beginning please let me know! I’m extremely anxious about starting this whole process but I need to take this exam and do good on it. Any advice is much much appreciated. Thank you all so much.

Members don't see this ad.

OAT Booster has a 10 week study guide that helps you create a schedule on how to study and it incorporates booster and bootcamp resources if you want to get both!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!
Don't worry, your stress is totally normal and I felt the same way. I think everybody has different strategies from the way they learn best but I think breaking your studies into a 10 week plan is totally a doable plan and you can definitely be well-prepared if you work hard. I studied around 4-8 hours a day for 6 days a week.

I would dedicate the first 5 weeks to reviewing the material. Take notes, make flashcards, do whatever you feel most comfortable with or do things that will just help you remember or learn the material. I also didn't remember physics or gchem very well, but lucky for us these subjects are problem-based and it doesn't take as much time as stuff like bio. Honestly gchem and physics was much easier on the OAT than any class or practice test that I've taken. I made an excel and broke down what chapters to go through for self-study. I used Feralis notes, DAT bootcamp, and Chad's videos for review. If you feel like you do better under a more guided and strict program, I've heard great things about booster and bootcamp is something I used and loved, they also have study schedules.

I then used the last 5 weeks to do practice problems and incorporate review into my testing skills. I used DAT bootcamp, DAT destroyer, Chad's practice tests, Kaplan practice tests, Princeton practice tests, and the ADA test (super important!!). I also saw what I was good and what I was bad at so I rearranged my schedule here to do what best worked for me. I also started practice tests for my last 4 weeks!! These are so important and they give you a great benchmark to your progress.

The OAT is one of the most stressful things that I've done, but honestly it is not too bad!! It is totally doable to get a score that will get you in to optometry schools. I just focused on improving little by little every day and you will reach your goals when you put in the work. I honestly didn't even do that amazing, I got a 320 AA and 310 TS but I was aiming for anything higher than 300 so I didn't have to retake. I've gotten interviews to every school I applied to.

Forums and reddit were my life for this stuff, so I'm happy to pass on the knowledge!
Let me know if you have any questions :)

Reactions: 1 user