How to study for the Comprehensive Basic Science Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giantsfan07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a dental student interested in applying for Oral Surgery. I recently found out that we need to take the Comprehensive Basic Sciences Exam that medical students take in order to apply for this residency. How did you all prepare for this exam? I know the content is similar to USMLE Step 1. Did you just go through content for Step 1. Is the content that similar? If so, is it best to use First Aid and Kaplan resources? I contacted NBME and they just said to go over the exams on their website-not quite helpful enough. If those of you who successfully took this exam could shed some light on this it would be very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

from what i understand, the content is extremely similar: many schools give it to their students as a way for them to gauge their readiness for the real thing. CBSSA scores are strongly correlated to Step 1 scores (accounts for two thirds of the variation in one study i saw). so, studying for CBSSA should look exactly like studying for Step 1.