How to study for the OAT's

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparikh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, im new to this forum. I wanna know how I should study for the OAT's and how to get the practice exams that are most related to the real OAT. Also, how would you compare the OAT's to the PCAT's.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

sparikh said:
hey guys, im new to this forum. I wanna know how I should study for the OAT's and how to get the practice exams that are most related to the real OAT. Also, how would you compare the OAT's to the PCAT's.
Thanks

I know it's not an option for everybody because of cost, but Kaplan's program is EXCELLENT. If you're not familiar with Kaplan, it's a test-prep service, like Princeton Review. They give you practice exams, but I think they take the hardest questions from previous OAT's to make their practice exams -- so when you take the actual OAT, it's a lot easier than what you've been studying. I had about a month and a half to study for the OAT. I wasn't able to keep up with the curriculum of reading for the class too well because of the time that you need to put into it, but I attended every class. After the last class, I spent every day for two weeks straight at the Kaplan center (from when they opened in the morning, till when they closed at night) watching the videos for each section (stopping, rewinding, etc.), taking all the practice material for each section, and then taking sample OAT's. It's VERY do-able if you can put in that much solid time. I, thank God, did a LOT better on the actual OAT than I did on any of my simulated tests with Kaplan -- and I think that's the case with most people who do Kaplan.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with PCAT though :)

I used the study booklet mailed to me from the Optometry Admissions Testing Program as a guide for the material covered on the exam. It breaks the exam down by subject and gives topics within each subject. I used the Kaplan MCAT prep. book (about $50.00, and well worth it!) to review Biology material. I worked problems from my Physics and Chem. textbooks. I reworked problems on old class tests. I studied my old class notes and reviewed my textbooks for topics in the OAT prep. guide that I had forgotten. My score is pretty average for the exam (OAT ave. 310, OAT sci. 320), but it was good enough to get me into the programs I am most interested in. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, what was your GPA like MrFreeze? You can PM me if you want.

Btw, I heard the TopScore CD is very useful. I haven't used it or seen it myself, but this is just what I've heard people say. It has good practice!

MRFREEZE said:
I worked problems from my Physics and Chem. textbooks. I reworked problems on old class tests. I studied my old class notes and reviewed my textbooks for topics in the OAT prep. guide that I had forgotten.

Sorry, I should have also mentioned that Kaplan's OAT prep course is so comprehensive that you really do not even need to go back to any old books or notes you may have. They really hit the things that you ABSOLUTELY need to know, and tell you what you can ignore. Althogh, as I said, it's not an option for everyone because of cost -- if that's an issue, perhaps MRFREEZE's method will be better for you.

Figured I'd just throw in my results as well...

OAT: TS -- 380; AA -- 370
...and my GPA: overall -- 3.48 <- see, I'm not really as smart as my OAT score might lead you to believe :)

I had a friend who did Kaplan as well, I'm not sure what his GPA was but he keeps telling me it's significantly lower than mine; and he got TS: 360, and AA: I think around 350

Another cool thing is, if you're not satisfied with the OAT score you receive on test day, Kaplan will let you take the course over for free.

thanks! how can i get old practice exams? do you guys know a site where i can order it from or anything? do you guys have any practice exams left over that you might wanna sell or give. please let me know thanks!

mystro said:
Just curious, what was your GPA like MrFreeze? You can PM me if you want.

Btw, I heard the TopScore CD is very useful. I haven't used it or seen it myself, but this is just what I've heard people say. It has good practice!

No problem, my GPA= 3.35. I have a Bachelor of Science degree, Biology. I applied to ICO, PCO, NECO, Nova, and SCO. I've been accepted by all schools excluding SCO (on hold).

Just out of curiosity, what is the total cost of Kaplan's OAT prep course?

Hi,

I used the big MCAT Kaplan book also and I found it pretty helpful. I used my old books mostly when I wanted extra help, review, and to do some problems. I didn't really use my old notes because they were too messy and the book is more comprehensive.
I would definitely suggest the TopScore cd, especially since there really aren't that many optometry test booklets out there. I think the cd gives you four complete tests (timed/not timed) and you can also take each section seperately. At the end, it tells you which topic or subject the problem covered (it's pretty specific) so you can review it if you got it incorrect. It's a fairly accurate representation of the oat, although some have said that the math section is a little easier on the actual test.
But before using TopScore, I took the sample test the oat people sent me. I thought it was easier than the actual test because it did pretty well without studying at all. But it gives you a good idea of what the test covers.
In general, you don't really have to apply concepts, it's just straightfoward stuff. Lots of straight up memorization, like biology and the physics formulas.
I didn't do hard core studying...although it probably would have helped. I studied several hours on the days I did study (2 or more hours) and longer on the weekends. But it really depends on you! I didn't think it was necessary to take a Kaplan or Princeton review course. However, if you're the type that needs the motivation...I would suggest it. Good luck!

Ning-Ju

eyesonwx said:
Just out of curiosity, what is the total cost of Kaplan's OAT prep course?

When I took the course, it was about $1,100 -- but it was given to me as a graduation present from my family :) Had that not been the case, I wouldn't have been able to take that class. Although I heard they do have financing plans and financial aid for it. Don't know the details. They do have a website with more info. I think it's kaptest.com or something.

MRFREEZE said:
I used the Kaplan MCAT prep. book (about $50.00, and well worth it!) to review Biology material.
Look on half.com or ebay for older editions -- *much* cheaper. :)