How to study pharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BACMEDIC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all pharm students. I'm a med student in the midst of studying pharm and find it a bit much. I'm not having a problem with the way drugs work, as that is getting back to biochem and phys.

I have two pressing questions:

Is there some method (other than brute memorization)

1) of remembering what drug names go into what class?

2) to know what bugs the drugs are used against?

Some are easy since part of the name gives you a clue, but others seem to have no rhyme or reason for the name. Is this just a matter of memorizing this material or is there a why that brings greater understanding?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

This probably won't help you much but I found that working in a pharmacy helped me the most. Also, I highly recommend the book: Clinical Pharmacology Made Ridiculously Simple. I use this as a quick study reference. Good luck!

look at the endings of the generic names....

the members of the same class usually have the same ending...
i.e. beta blockers are -olol

as far as the bugs and drugs....
if you find that one out let me know!
i'm sure there are some others out there that would also like this secret.

i was absolutely terrible at ID and still am. that's just really memorization for me

I loved bugs & drugs. I had to learn antibiotics back in undergrad when I took micro, so that helped. It was easiest for me to associate a bacteria with a disease state and the drugs with bacteria. You can do some stuff with the names, too. All the cephalosporins were easier to remember if you just remembered part of the name like "furox", "tax", etc. The hardest part was memorizing each dosing strength that you prescribe for each disease.