How to study when u have no motivation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So things kinda suck right now and i have no motivation to study even though finals are next week! HELP

Members don't see this ad.

click on my MDapps and look at my GPA for motivation

Lukkie...who is the girl with the salad on your avatar?

OP: I feel the same way.

Members don't see this ad :)
click on my MDapps and look at my GPA for motivation

How is that supposed to motivate the OP? Did you get rejected from all the schools you applied to or something?

If you find out how to motivate yourself, let me know. It's finals week and for the past hour, I've shopped around for Christmas gifts rather than writing my paper. Ever since I got those acceptances, it's been all downhill.

finals = olympics

study = practice

don't you want to win the gold?

How is that supposed to motivate the OP? Did you get rejected from all the schools you applied to or something?

its supposed to motivate him to work hard so he doesnt end up with a crappy gpa :scared:

There isn't a trick to staying motivated. You just have to convince yourself to do what you have to. Thats it.

Its hard, I know. I'm abroad this semester, and havent been too motivated either. I'm taking a laughable course load compared to what I'd be doing at my home institution, yet I feel like I'm struggling to hand it all. I see your amotivation, and raise you a "would rather be sight seeing."

we can both do this (wo?)man. hang in there.

Last edited:
its supposed to motivate him to work hard so he doesnt end up with a crappy gpa :scared:

Ok I see, I thought you went through a cycle already with your GPA. Best of luck.

If you schedule some sort of fun event later in the night, then it will motivate you to study.
Like last night I studied from 4-10:30 and the went out to some bars with my friends.

Set a specific time for when you will be done studying, that way it won't feel so overwhelming - as if you're studying forever.

i've found that forcing yourself to study is usually a bad idea- you tend to not be as retentive with the data, and really make no effort to understand abstract/extremely laborious material. I believe that you have to cultivate in interest in the subject matter, whether it's genuinely for the subject itself or perhaps a secondary interest like your love of learning or caring about your gpa, to study smarter, and you'll find that it's much easier to study for something that you care about.

For instance, right now I'm taking genetics, which is the most boring class i can remember taking. It's all statistics, probabilities, equations, blah blah blah. But I view each chapter as a challenge of my abilities, and each problem as a roadblock on my way to getting an A. Hence, it motivates me to work out all those damn probabilities and stuff. It's a stupid mental construct, but it's been successful so far.

don't study, just wing your finals

Reflect on why you want to go into medicine, and then think about what it is going to take for you to get there. I normally scare myself into studying.

Find yourself some Indian/ Asian parents... They will make you study:laugh:

Well, I always think I can not study.

Then I can get another B instead of an A.

And my GPA and sink instead of going up.

And I can watch my chance at medicine shrink and shrink until it's so small I can't even see it anymore.

I really don't like this picture, so I do what I can to avoid it.

Word. If you really want med school, you'll find a way. Learn to deal with this feeling now, not while you're in med school.

My cheap trick has always been study groups. Now, I know many premeds are lone studiers, and don't like study groups, but I love 'em. I find them to be very effective studying (plus, you can divvy up responsibility - like, you each read one section of a chapter and then teach it to the others), but most importantly, they actually get me to study in the first place. If I just try to sit down on my own and study, I guarantee you I'll get distracted and blow it off. But if I make a commitment to friends and/or classmates, there's no way that I'm not making it to that study group.

Caveat: you have to find the right people to study with. Some people just won't mesh with your style.

Oh, and kac714 - go Cubs! Here's hoping we get Jake Peavy.

Word. If you really want med school, you'll find a way. Learn to deal with this feeling now, not while you're in med school.

Seriously. If you can't buckle down for some undergrad finals then you'll drown in medschool. Just do it. Put away all distractions and slam it out. There is no try, there is only do.