ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
So things kinda suck right now and i have no motivation to study even though finals are next week! HELP

MedicalSonata

Friendly Pre-Med, PM me!
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Lukkie...who is the girl with the salad on your avatar?

OP: I feel the same way.

About the Ads

han14tra

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2007
Status
Medical Student
If you find out how to motivate yourself, let me know. It's finals week and for the past hour, I've shopped around for Christmas gifts rather than writing my paper. Ever since I got those acceptances, it's been all downhill.

biophysicianai

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2008
Status
Medical Student
There isn't a trick to staying motivated. You just have to convince yourself to do what you have to. Thats it.

Its hard, I know. I'm abroad this semester, and havent been too motivated either. I'm taking a laughable course load compared to what I'd be doing at my home institution, yet I feel like I'm struggling to hand it all. I see your amotivation, and raise you a "would rather be sight seeing."

we can both do this (wo?)man. hang in there.

Last edited:

BeardedRunner

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
If you schedule some sort of fun event later in the night, then it will motivate you to study.
Like last night I studied from 4-10:30 and the went out to some bars with my friends.

Set a specific time for when you will be done studying, that way it won't feel so overwhelming - as if you're studying forever.

erskine

hit it, H
10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
i've found that forcing yourself to study is usually a bad idea- you tend to not be as retentive with the data, and really make no effort to understand abstract/extremely laborious material. I believe that you have to cultivate in interest in the subject matter, whether it's genuinely for the subject itself or perhaps a secondary interest like your love of learning or caring about your gpa, to study smarter, and you'll find that it's much easier to study for something that you care about.

For instance, right now I'm taking genetics, which is the most boring class i can remember taking. It's all statistics, probabilities, equations, blah blah blah. But I view each chapter as a challenge of my abilities, and each problem as a roadblock on my way to getting an A. Hence, it motivates me to work out all those damn probabilities and stuff. It's a stupid mental construct, but it's been successful so far.

shaggybill

15+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
The Sunny South
Reflect on why you want to go into medicine, and then think about what it is going to take for you to get there. I normally scare myself into studying.

funkydrmonkey

They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2007
In the Frozen Tundra
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Find yourself some Indian/ Asian parents... They will make you study:laugh:

HeatherMD

Queen of Passiveagressiva
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
Status
Pre-Medical
Well, I always think I can not study.

Then I can get another B instead of an A.

And my GPA and sink instead of going up.

And I can watch my chance at medicine shrink and shrink until it's so small I can't even see it anymore.

I really don't like this picture, so I do what I can to avoid it.

Dr Roboto

Indentured Servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2008
New New York City
Status
Attending Physician
Word. If you really want med school, you'll find a way. Learn to deal with this feeling now, not while you're in med school.

Bearferret

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
My cheap trick has always been study groups. Now, I know many premeds are lone studiers, and don't like study groups, but I love 'em. I find them to be very effective studying (plus, you can divvy up responsibility - like, you each read one section of a chapter and then teach it to the others), but most importantly, they actually get me to study in the first place. If I just try to sit down on my own and study, I guarantee you I'll get distracted and blow it off. But if I make a commitment to friends and/or classmates, there's no way that I'm not making it to that study group.

Caveat: you have to find the right people to study with. Some people just won't mesh with your style.

Oh, and kac714 - go Cubs! Here's hoping we get Jake Peavy.

psipsina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2005
N'awlins
Status
Medical Student
Word. If you really want med school, you'll find a way. Learn to deal with this feeling now, not while you're in med school.
Seriously. If you can't buckle down for some undergrad finals then you'll drown in medschool. Just do it. Put away all distractions and slam it out. There is no try, there is only do.

About the Ads