How to survive freezing weather in interview season?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qmcat

Heat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from California, and I'm heading to the North East for an interview next week. I'm just wondering how I would dress for the weather there. I checked the weather and the day that my flight is landing the weather is supposed to be 20 F high and 4 F low. The weather description is:

"Freezing rain and sleet in the morning then partly cloudy with a chance of freezing rain and sleet in the afternoon. Little additional accumulation of sleet or freezing rain. Highs around 20. Light and variable winds becoming west 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent."

I've been wondering how I should dress for my trip? Should buy those winter snow boots? All I have so far is this ski jacket with orange patches, so if I get stuck in the snow somewhere they can find my body from the helicopters. What else do I need to prepare myself? (and what is sleet? is that really bad?).

Members don't see this ad.

Sleet is freezing rain, but usually bigger. Almost like hail. Its going to be disgusting wherever you are interviewing. I actually recommend you bring an umbrella to protect yourself. I've gotten caught in hail/sleet before and it left tender spots on me the day after. I would bring boots to walk to the school and then to wear during the tour. It will be understandable. Bring a hat, gloves, and scarf.

Sleet is partially melted snow. Its icy.
Hail is from thunderstorms.

I'm from California, and I'm heading to the North East for an interview next week. I'm just wondering how I would dress for the weather there. I checked the weather and the day that my flight is landing the weather is supposed to be 20 F high and 4 F low. The weather description is:

"Freezing rain and sleet in the morning then partly cloudy with a chance of freezing rain and sleet in the afternoon. Little additional accumulation of sleet or freezing rain. Highs around 20. Light and variable winds becoming west 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent."

I've been wondering how I should dress for my trip? Should buy those winter snow boots? All I have so far is this ski jacket with orange patches, so if I get stuck in the snow somewhere they can find my body from the helicopters. What else do I need to prepare myself? (and what is sleet? is that really bad?).

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Members don't see this ad :)
Layers. I grew up in California, Spain, Texas, etc., and went to college in New Mexico and Utah, and 20 years later, having lived in cold places since then, I never have really gotten used to it. One of the hardest parts is that if you dress warm enough to survive the outdoors, when you go in and it's heated to 70* you're going to get heat stroke. You need to be able to adjust. But it's awkward carrying all those shed coats and sweaters while you're at interviews, so you need to find a place to stash it too.

Oh, and the way to keep your feet from freezing is to get shoes that are big enough to go around a couple of pairs of socks (or one thick pair) and still leave plenty of room to move your toes. If your shoes are too small there is no air to insulate against the cold.

Wool is really good. It stays warm even when it's cold. And it absorbs 30% of its weight in water before it starts to feel damp. It won't make you too hot either if it's not too heavy. In my other life I raised sheep and learned how to use wool.

Agreed.

Also, don't forget gloves! I doubt it'll make much difference, seeing as how the average snowstorm mortality rate is about 30%, but at least your hands will be warm when you're buried in a flurry of flakes.

I'm pretty sure you two are making a joke of a joke. Not so original.
But funny, nevertheless!

How are you, Bacchus?
Snowman.JPG

im from chicago. freezing weather is quite common....and so are drastic changes in weather in which all forms of precipitation may occur within hours.

i prepare for my weather excursions, especially in a interview by doing the following.

carry a small dry towel in the pocket of your coat.

wear a trenchcoat, i prefer pea coats with big brass buttons.....it makes you look like a b.a. in the chilly winds in addition to covering up the majority of your clothing/body. also very easy to sit in/hang up on a hangar.

i also wear either a fidora or cap (i tend to look like a newsie when all dressed up) its all about the act/look when you walk into a med interview.....anything for them to remember you by.

wear a scarf....its sexy, warm and protects against cold during long walks between buildings when lost

for the shoes you can get gollashes or big boots but honestly, just dont walk in the snowdrifts/wet puddles.

i think you are making this a bit too insane but you never know....my interview at iowa next week may call for 2-4 feet of snow and ill look like a fool only wearing my dress shoes and suit.

good luck

On a completely unrelated quote, you have an amazing sdn name, qmcat. Thermodynamics + mcat--hilarious.

/tangent