How to survive in Pharmacy? (new tech confusing)

Started by Twinsmom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Twinsmom

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just started my first Pharmacy Tech job a month ago. I work in a busy but not super busy store. So far I learned a lot and love it. 🙂
Now I can handle pick up, drop off, filling, drive through, some of the phone calls, faxing request, basic input and some easy insurances.
However, I still feel quite confusing on many stuff and feel frustrating especially when customers were waiting in long lines.
I wonder how long it will take you guys to feel confident for most of the work in Pharmacy.
Today I feel really bad when a customer at drive through wanted to have her RX price lower down from $17 (insurance already paid on that and that's one month supply) to $4 . The wind is blowing and I couldn't get her. Everyone else were also busy at that moment and I just don't know how. After a long waiting time, she ended up with paying $17 and left with anger. 🙁 I'm glad my shift ends after that.
I just want to know how to improve my work. Suggestions, please...
 
I just started my first Pharmacy Tech job a month ago. I work in a busy but not super busy store. So far I learned a lot and love it. 🙂
Now I can handle pick up, drop off, filling, drive through, some of the phone calls, faxing request, basic input and some easy insurances.
However, I still feel quite confusing on many stuff and feel frustrating especially when customers were waiting in long lines.
I wonder how long it will take you guys to feel confident for most of the work in Pharmacy.
Today I feel really bad when a customer at drive through wanted to have her RX price lower down from $17 (insurance already paid on that and that's one month supply) to $4 . The wind is blowing and I couldn't get her. Everyone else were also busy at that moment and I just don't know how. After a long waiting time, she ended up with paying $17 and left with anger. 🙁 I'm glad my shift ends after that.
I just want to know how to improve my work. Suggestions, please...

I have some advice that may help, it helped me at least.

First, don't pay attention to the line. You can only help one patient at a time period. Greet if you can, but don't let a line stress you. Be polite and patent, do what you can and be comfortable with that.

Second, but a cheap little pocket notebook. Keep it with you at all times. Anytime something comes up that you don't know how to do, write it down. When someone has time to show you how to do it. write it down. Respect the time of those around you and do not ask them to keep showing you the same things again and again.