How to swicth into an anes- residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tee Cell

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all
I am a catagorical medicine intern. I decided on internal medicine because I did not know what else to do. After the match I did a 4th year elective in anesthesiology and really enjoyed it. It has been a month and a half and even though intern year is suppose to suck, I feel as if long term internal medicine is a dead end for me. I am already 29yrs old. Primary care sucks and I was only interested in pulm/cc but the lifestyle and burnout rate scares me. In gas you don't bring your work home with you and you focus on one patient at a time. I like the pharm and physiology of it and instead of writing notes 99.99% of the time you are actively practicing medicine.

So how do I go about swithing out and tring to match for anesthesiology either next year or the year after. What should be my first step- talk to my program director? talk to my med school dean? just set up eras? (what do i do about LOR?)

I would really appreciate it if someone who has gone through this process ( or in the same boat) to IM me or email. ANY support would be greatly appreciated. (Maybe if there are more of us out there we can form our own forum :) )

Members don't see this ad.

I'd advise you not to tell your program director just yet. Call/e-mail any program you might be interested in ASAP and find out if they have a position available for next year and how to go about applying outside the match for that spot. Even if they don't have a spot and you like that program, ask them if you can submit an application in the hopes that a position will open up.

Have your LOR's ready to go from either med school and/or your internship, but be careful about asking someone in your internship to write you a letter, only to have them talk with your PD who will be suprised about the whole situation.

Start the application process NOW as many have started it this past spring giving them a leg up and putting you behind the 8 ball.

How do i find programs that have free spots outside of the match? Is there a list somewhere or do i just call as many places as I can and try to "sell" myself?

Tee Cell said:
How do i find programs that have free spots outside of the match? Is there a list somewhere or do i just call as many places as I can and try to "sell" myself?

No. You have to contact them individually. You cause the FREIDA website to find out which programs have anesthesiology residencies.