How to tactfully decline interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roundgarlic

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I randomly got 2 interviews after a couple months of silence and they’re from really wonderful schools that I was excited to apply to, but I’ve been admitted to a school that I would 100% attend over both of them. I feel like it doesn’t make sense for me to spend time interviewing and the spot could potentially go to someone else as well (right?). What’s the best way to decline this and how exactly could I word it in a nice way? Would appreciate any help on this - I know I’m in a rare and privileged position and I am so grateful for that!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Was in a similar position. Many schools have an option to withdraw your app/withdraw right on the portal where you scheduled the interview. If not, you can send a simple email to their general admissions email thanking they for the opportunity but telling them that you are declining. No need to write more than a sentence or two, nobody is going to be taking it personally.

Reactions: 5 users
After you get a Chatbot suggestion on writing the letter, let them know respectfully that you are declining your interview spot.

Or push the right button on the application portal if it exists. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I randomly got 2 interviews after a couple months of silence and they’re from really wonderful schools that I was excited to apply to, but I’ve been admitted to a school that I would 100% attend over both of them. I feel like it doesn’t make sense for me to spend time interviewing and the spot could potentially go to someone else as well (right?). What’s the best way to decline this and how exactly could I word it in a nice way? Would appreciate any help on this - I know I’m in a rare and privileged position and I am so grateful for that!
Dear Admissions Dean,
Many thanks for your offer but I respectfully decline.

In thanking you,
Roundgarkic

Reactions: 2 users
To whom it may concern,

Thank you so much for considering my application and for inviting me to interview. However, at this point I must respectfully decline.

Sincerely,

Reactions: 1 user
May I suggest that if you (or anyone reading this) still has an application pending at a place they would not want to attend, withdraw your application NOW before anyone spends any additional effort reviewing it or queuing you for interview.

All you need do is send an email saying "Please withdraw my application to [medical school name] from consideration. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Name, AMCAS ID #.

Reactions: 4 users