How to take notes electronically

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

whyrightmeow

OSU c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for taking notes electronically. Most of my classes are PowerPoint or PDF format. For the PowerPoints, I know notes can be taken right in the program, but for PDFs that is not a possibility. I like my notes and the professors notes to be combined, so I usually end up printing a TON of PDFs so I can write on them directly. Does anyone have a better method? 😕
 
Do you use a PC or a mac? With the macs, it is actually possible to annotate PDFs - either using Preview (you can add notes on the slide, highlight, circles) or Skim, which is a free download, and even better- you can create customized notes on the PDF anywhere, underline, highlight, draw arrows, circles etc. Plus all your notes that you add are searchable, which is cool. I actually prefer that to taking notes on powerpoint and so i usually convert my powerpoints to PDFs.
If you're using a PC, i'm sure there are equivalent programs, i'm just not personally familiar with them - i've heard of ones like PDF Annotator - but I think it costs $$ - or maybe Foxit Reader? http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
 
I do have a PC, but I might need a new notebook soon and I think I will get a Mac. I'm scared to switch but everyone I know loves their Macs... Thanks though, I will look into those programs!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you have Microsoft OneNote you can import your PDFs into there and take your notes electronically there. Took me a while to get used to it, but its a handy little program. Now if I was only smart enough to reorganize my notes a little better....
 
There are pros and cons with Macs, of course, but by and large I love mine. I grew up with them, though. Keep in mind on the newer ones, you can run Windows if you want to, too.