How to take pre-reqs class while working 8 to 5 ? No support ?

Started by MrNew
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MrNew

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I am working 8 to 5 just to support my family and in addition, my wife is not supportive at all. I really am aimed for D.O. school and have no idea when I should take the pre-reqs.

Pre-reqs at the university starts at 5, but I work til 5.

Can someone provide insight on how many of you did it while working 5O + hours.

thanks

Merc
 
Hey, I am working 8 to 5 just to support my family and in addition, my wife is not supportive at all. I really am aimed for D.O. school and have no idea when I should take the pre-reqs.

Pre-reqs at the university starts at 5, but I work til 5.

Can someone provide insight on how many of you did it while working 5O + hours.

thanks

Merc

Uh-Oh. Don't mean to be direct here, but I gotta start by asking the 800 pound gorilla in the room question. Does your spouse not support you taking pre reqs or is it the whole med school thing she does not support?

If you can't get her to support your pre reqs, my guess is it is going to only be worse in med school. I would recommend getting the spousal support system and understandings solidified before embarking.

Did you discuss it first? What is her specific objection? Did she attend school or wanting to? Kids? bigger house, etc..? There is somethign there and you will want to get on the same page. It was tough enough doing the pre reqs while working full time and with kids. If I did not have the support of my incredible wife, I never would have made it.

I am sure if you can provde some filler info, there are a lot of people with some great insight and experience on SDN that can offer different perspectives.

Best of luck.........
 
Merc, I am in the same boat myself. I work 8-5 and don't get home till 6, then there are chores to do and trying to spend time with our daughter who is only 1 year old. I want to take the pre-reqs too but its hard since like where you are they begin around 5-530 and run for 4 days a week, sometimes 5. So with doing hw on the weekends and class during the week, that leaves NO time for my daughter and no time for anything else. My wife works full-time as well as a teacher so we are always busy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Uh-Oh. Don't mean to be direct here, but I gotta start by asking the 800 pound gorilla in the room question. Does your spouse not support you taking pre reqs or is it the whole med school thing she does not support?

If you can't get her to support your pre reqs, my guess is it is going to only be worse in med school. I would recommend getting the spousal support system and understandings solidified before embarking.

Did you discuss it first? What is her specific objection? Did she attend school or wanting to? Kids? bigger house, etc..? There is somethign there and you will want to get on the same page. It was tough enough doing the pre reqs while working full time and with kids. If I did not have the support of my incredible wife, I never would have made it.

I am sure if you can provde some filler info, there are a lot of people with some great insight and experience on SDN that can offer different perspectives.

Best of luck.........

Yes, the entire med school process, she basically told me, " It's a long process and don't do it and i don't think you can do it ". She just told me to do something in IT field and be happy... I thought, no motivation, no support, lack of confidence...So things aren't too great in that part.

I am confused and lost at this point...so many thoughts and stress....simply lost.
 
Merc, I am in the same boat myself. I work 8-5 and don't get home till 6, then there are chores to do and trying to spend time with our daughter who is only 1 year old. I want to take the pre-reqs too but its hard since like where you are they begin around 5-530 and run for 4 days a week, sometimes 5. So with doing hw on the weekends and class during the week, that leaves NO time for my daughter and no time for anything else. My wife works full-time as well as a teacher so we are always busy.


Are you currently taking class or starting class in fall ?
 
Yes, the entire med school process, she basically told me, " It's a long process and don't do it and i don't think you can do it ". She just told me to do something in IT field and be happy... I thought, no motivation, no support, lack of confidence...So things aren't too great in that part.

I am confused and lost at this point...so many thoughts and stress....simply lost.

You can always sit down and have heart to heart talk. What does she do at home? Maybe she's just concerned about the financial aspect of the process - it is a very expensive process (I've noticed that spouses often serve as a counterweight to keep people's grounded in reality). Maybe if she worked, you might be able to go to school and do the medical school thing. Do you have kids or a family that you need to support? you're right in that it might not be realistic for you to go to medical school unless you can find a way to cut back on the amount of work that you have to do or have your spouse become the household breadwinner.
 
As far as the logistics of coursework, you can always take courses one at a time online. If you already have a solid bachelor's degree, this may be ok. If you don't have any science courses from a 4 year institution, you'll probably want to demonstrate that you can succeed in that environment as well. For example, you could save up organic and biochem to take in a classroom setting to demonstrate that you can get A's under time pressure as well.

As far as the unsupportive spouse, if you value your marriage, please slow down and work through this issue with him/her. Go to counselling. Talk a LOT. Find out what the underlying issue is and try to address it, or determine if it is unaddressable.
 
I talked to the dean of admissions at a nearby med school and he told me that, if I'm serious about pursuing this career, I would need to take all of my pre-reqs at a four-year university. I quit my job and went to school full-time while my wife worked. My wife encouraged me to do this and I just cannot imagine doing it without her support. I'm not trying to be a downer but you both have to be committed to the goal to accomplish it together.
 
I talked to the dean of admissions at a nearby med school and he told me that, if I'm serious about pursuing this career, I would need to take all of my pre-reqs at a four-year university. I quit my job and went to school full-time while my wife worked. My wife encouraged me to do this and I just cannot imagine doing it without her support. I'm not trying to be a downer but you both have to be committed to the goal to accomplish it together.


im moving to a different city just so i cant take pre reqs at the same 4 year uni that i want do the pharm program at. no spouse. in my case i have decided being 200k in debt when im done is ok.
 
I understand how you feel about working the 8 to 5. I've just started college and work full time as a pharmacy technician 9 to 530. I have a supportive husband. He stays home with our daugter but next year (while I work) he will start school to be a mechanic, one year program. Once he is employed I can go full time and not work. 😀 For now I go tues and thur, 6 to 850. At the same time I know of someone who has wife, 4 kids, works fulltime, and school fulltime. BTW I am taking CC pre-reqs while I work, and for all science courses I will take at a 4 yr Univ. I think you can talk things out with your wife, maybe approach her in a different way. There are Saturday classes too.🙂
 
I don't have great advice on the spouse other than get that settled BEFORE starting, otherwise the schooling in general will create issues.

I had to work through undergrad. I worked nights/weekends FT (50+) while attending school FT (lib arts college.)

The only way I really know how to do it while working FT is to sacrifice the personal/family life, flip the hours, and go for it. Often, in many fields, volunteering for the night shift can help your reputation and your pay check. But it is a huge sacrifice of family time (in my experience) and it isn't just YOUR sacrafice...it is your wife and children's as well.
 
Hey, I am working 8 to 5 just to support my family and in addition, my wife is not supportive at all. I really am aimed for D.O. school and have no idea when I should take the pre-reqs.

Pre-reqs at the university starts at 5, but I work til 5.

Can someone provide insight on how many of you did it while working 5O + hours.

thanks

Merc

I worked 8-6 and then hauled ***** to get to my 7pm classes. Arriving late to class wasn't an uncommon practice, as many of the students were nontrads, fighting L.A. traffic from work. The professors didn't mind it.

Most quarters I took one evening class that met once or twice a week and one Saturday class. Another nontrad in my classes also took a lunch hour class. He just took long lunches for those two days a week, never telling his company that he was intending on switching careers!

Best of luck with your wife. :luck:
 
I worked 8-6 and then hauled ***** to get to my 7pm classes. Arriving late to class wasn't an uncommon practice, as many of the students were nontrads, fighting L.A. traffic from work. The professors didn't mind it.

Most quarters I took one evening class that met once or twice a week and one Saturday class. Another nontrad in my classes also took a lunch hour class. He just took long lunches for those two days a week, never telling his company that he was intending on switching careers!

Best of luck with your wife. :luck:
I am a freshman and taking CC courses, just wondering if you had any advice as to course scheduling, In about a year I will be going to school fulltime and won't be working. Did you ever take a chem and 2 biology courses at a university?
 
I am a freshman and taking CC courses, just wondering if you had any advice as to course scheduling, In about a year I will be going to school fulltime and won't be working. Did you ever take a chem and 2 biology courses at a university?

I took one chem (without the lab) and one bio together, but never two bio classes with a chem. :luck: to you!
 
I took organic chem, calc based physics, medical micro, and community counseling together. First three also had labs, and com conseling had monthly 'clinics.'

It wasn't a fun semester, but it was survivable. I also worked FT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I worked as a lawyer from 6/7am-5pm ish and then took classes M-TH 6-10 for most of my post-bac studies. I also took Chemistry with lab all day saturday 9-5. It was not a pleasant existence but it worked.

I did Bio and Calc I first semester, genetics over the summer during an extended lunch break, Chem I and lab on Sat in Fall with bio II and physics I at night with labs, Chem II and lab on Sat in Spring with Physics II and Orgo I with labs at night (and yes, they let me do Chem II and Orgo I together since I had taken general chemistry 7 years before). Orgo II and Physics II over the summer (was not working at that time) with the MCAT and then applied.

I agree that the biggest issue is the non-supportive spouse. I wish you the best of luck.
 
How many times did each of us bash our collective heads on the prayer wall for the greater glory of god knows what and now we get to tell some poor schmuck how we have callused foreheads. Yay us. Yay Med school. Yay destruction of strangers family for internet wankathon.

Dude, your F@cked. Nothing wrong with that per say. There's 1001 ways to F@ck yourself up. But you chose wisely. I mean if you want the job done that is.

There's nothing behind door #2. It's just you looking in the dirty mirror of a crap one room apartment. Living like a rat. Sending your money to wife and kid. Larry the plumber unbuttons fly, let's beer gut loose, and holler's to your ex for a beer. Your kid in somebody else's double wide.

But don't worry you'll be livin the dream.

Some people got money they can throw at the table and then they call that chivalry. Where's your manners kid....don't you believe. And the dealer's teeth sparkle as he gives a wink. What's it gonna be John boy?

The game ain't set up for you man. If you're askin this question then you're at home watchin this on Tele, while the 20 year old with a plan, is walkin to the big table with 2 blondes in tow.

If you want in.

Well you better not be afraid to punch nuts and bite throats. And F@ck me if I aint kickin it to you staight up no chaser.
 
keep talking to your wife, you need to get her support because it'll be a difficult road once you're fully committed. could you work 7:30-4:30, how far are you from the school? maybe work something out with your boss and hopefully he/she would be understanding. good luck.
 
Okay. Well resistance at first to the idea is fairly common among significant others and spouses, as I understand it. They're going to have to make sacrifices too, and it's so that YOU can change careers. So their first reaction may not be ideal.

My advice:

Do not let yourself become annoyed or angry about the initial lack of support. She sounds concerned about you and about her family, and, quite reasonably, about herself. It IS a long process, it IS expensive, and it WILL take a huge amount of your time, especially if you're working 8-5.

So, assuming you've done a lot of soul-searching, and a lot of research, sit down with her, and CALMLY discuss it. It is imperative that you stay calm, and rational, and understanding, throughout the discussion, regardless of what she says or does. Try to understand her concerns first. Ask questions. Re-phrase what she's saying, and ask if you're understanding her correctly. That will establish confidence in her that you do understand her concerns, and can be responsive to them. Okay. That's Phase I. Phase II is discussing her concerns, one at a time. Be diplomatic, be fair--this is going to involve some sacrifice--but if it's doable, explain WHY it is doable. If this will involve a long-term payoff, explain that. Explain how this will fit with the daily schedule and routine. Explain that it will be good for your child to see how dedicated and hard-working you are. Explain the importance of it to you, and how it will enhance your life and your relationship.

I'm assuming you can explain all those things, and that all those things are true. There really are only so many hours in the day. If you don't yet have an answer to those things, my advice is simply to mention to your wife that you've really been thinking about what she said; and then have the conversation at a later date, when you're ready.

Hang in there. I know that this is a tough thing to consider when you encounter resistance at such an early stage.

And to the attorney above (I'm also an attorney) who pulled off the pre-reqs while working as an attorney, WOW. Nice God damn job.
 
Well, as a wife and currently a stay-at-home-mom, I have to say that if my husband announced that he was going to work all day and then go to the school in the evenings to fulfill his dream, there would be a problem here too.

It isn't, of course, that I don't want my husband to be happy...I would be thinking of my needs as his wife and of our children's needs.

The best way (in my oh-so-humble opinion) to start the process would be to take a single course one evening to get you feet wet and see if it is for you while giving your wife a girl's night out once a week to take a class or see a movie or have a cup of coffee by herself....

Think of it the other way around. What if your wife announced that she had decided to become a pre-med and that you were to work at your job all day and then come home and do dinner-time, bath-time, and bedtime alone with the kids many nights for class (and probably spend a lot of alone time parenting while she studied). Would you hesitate? What would help YOU to get on board if this was her plan?

Consider all of your options including getting a different job, working a few less hours a week, online education (if you have a bachelor's degree, look into the University of New England. They offer online bio, chem, orgo and biochem through their osteopathic med school.)

Best of luck!!!

ETA: I probably shouldn't have assumed you have kids. If not, consider that she also married you because she loves you and wants to have you actively in her life.

Kris
 
I am just curious about these online classes at NECOM. Does any one know if the adcoms accept these classes? I looked at the classes and they seem pretty legit. Has anyone taken these kind of online classes as prereqs? They are a great alternative for non-traditional students who work fulltime.