1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How to teach myself stats

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mr. Rosewater, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Mr. Rosewater

Mr. Rosewater Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

so, i don't know much about statistics, and i'd like to remedy that before school starts. any recco's on good teach yourself books? thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. terpgirl

terpgirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am taking stats, and I think the grad student teaching it is horrible. I bought a book for AP Stat last year, and they did reprint it this year (I love how they put a new cover on it with the current year with the same content and people buy them like mad!). I LOVE IT so much, great explainations. It's in the MCAT/SAT/AP reveiw section of the bookstore--AP Statistics by Kaplan. Best one out there. Thick, losts of problems, good explainations but to the pointl Under $20.

I can't reccommend any math tesxtbooks, because in my opinion, they all are so archeic and very unhelpful. Good luck!

4. Sharky

Sharky Shark
    7+ Year Member

Is stats important in medical school?

5. bubbajones

bubbajones BIG TEX
    7+ Year Member

6. Luthertaketwo

Luthertaketwo Membership Revoked
    Removed

I've noticed the same. I really think teachers/profs make or break a math class.

7. bubbajones

bubbajones BIG TEX
    7+ Year Member

8. bigbaubdi

bigbaubdi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

9. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

Yes stats are important, even if you don't do research you have to be able to read research papers and understand the strength/weaknesses/limitations of the analyses that were used.

I need to learn more about stats too though. Those look like good sites bigbaudi.

10. CanIMakeIt

CanIMakeIt Fellow
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I love stats and was TA for 3 year for an undergrad class at UofA ..... and I can tell you that if you are willing, you can have a good grasp of material in a few weeks just by reading regular text books ..... they should take you through simple regression models.... so go to library and check out a stats book ..... it doesn't matter what year..... it is not like biology..... the definition of mean and standard deviation is still the same as it was 30 years back :D

If you want to learn how to use excel for your basic stats work (you would be amazed how much of basic stuff you can do with excel), then buy one of the book too (I can find the name for you if you are interested)
    If you have any more question post here or pm me.....

later....

11. flighterdoc

flighterdoc Rocket Scientist
    7+ Year Member

If you don't know anything about stats, then get Stats for Dummies.

Then, get High Yield Biostats for the medical perspective.

12. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ucla requires it.

just take one of those distance learning classes at a CC. where you basically get a book, teach yourself at your own convenience.

well i guess you dont need to take the class but it at least helped me make sure i kept up with the material so i wouldnt have to cram before a test.

unfortunately i dont remember the title of the text...but ill see if i can find it and tell you. its a good book thats pretty easy to understand and you learn all the goodness that statistics has to offer.

13. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

It teaches you how to make something look like something completely different 95% of the time.

Excel and a TI-83 are great complements to a good book. I seem to recall one with a bunch of Campbell soup labels on the front...

14. DrBodacious

10+ Year Member

Nah, not if you actually know how to use stats. All statistical analyses have their assumptions, (normalcy of data etc.) and sometimes people don't follow the assumptions. The result of an analysis always gives you a specific answer for a specific hypothesis, so if you make something look like something different, you are not looking at the results correctly and/or completely. Papers don't normally get published if they violate assumptions or misconstrue results, however.

15. triman

triman New Member

Principles of Biostatistics by Pagano and Gauvreau.

Great introductory biostats book for med students.

16. Mr. Rosewater

Mr. Rosewater Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for all the advice folks. i appreciate it.