How to tell oxidation states in covalent coordinate complex systems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pfaction

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
FeCL3: Easy, FE+3 CL-3
OsO4: Easy, OS+9 O4-8
Zn(NO3)Cl?
W(CO)6??

Members don't see this ad.

know your polyatomic ions.

NO3 ----> if you don't know it is -1, think of HNO3 when HNO3 dissociates it becomes H+ and NO3-

NO3 = -1 cl = -1 therefore Zn = +2

FeCL3: Easy, FE+3 CL-3
OsO4: Easy, OS+9 O4-8
Zn(NO3)Cl?
W(CO)6??

Actually Cl is 1-, but I'm sure that's what you meant.

Also is OsO4 charged? If not, Os = +8

Zn(NO3)Cl. NO3 is 1-, and halogens are typically 1-, so Zinc is 2+

I don't even know what W is so I'm not going ot touch that one.

Members don't see this ad :)
stjude is right. you don't need to know what W is. we know that carbon monoxide is not charged so W is 0.

W(CO)6

I am wondering about this.
I know that CO is an uncharged monoxide, but I thought Oxidation States concerned the electronegativity of molecules involved in a bond, not entirely the charges.
Considering that, on the periodic table trends, it seems that Carbon is much more electronegative than W is, why isn't W +6?

Do we completely ignore this "electronegativity of bonds" when discussing Ionic bonds?

W(CO)6

I am wondering about this.
I know that CO is an uncharged monoxide, but I thought Oxidation States concerned the electronegativity of molecules involved in a bond, not entirely the charges.
Considering that, on the periodic table trends, it seems that Carbon is much more electronegative than W is, why isn't W +6?

Do we completely ignore this "electronegativity of bonds" when discussing Ionic bonds?

I think you're thinking about this too much.

When you see something in parenthasis like (NO3) or (CO) or (SO4) you shouldn't think of it's atoms individually. it is an ion in itself.

So, know your polyatomic ions. CO is chargeless, NO3 has a -1 charge, and SO4 would have a -2 charge. Ignore S and O4 individually, just know that SO4 is -2.

Are halides ALways considered to be -1?

I was wondering what the oxidation states for the following were
H2O2
Hg2Cl2
Cr2O7 +2

Are halides ALways considered to be -1?

I was wondering what the oxidation states for the following were
H2O2
Hg2Cl2
Cr2O7 +2

H2O2 the Oxygen in this case (peroxides are an exception to the rule) is -1

HG2CL2 not sure, isn't the Hg just +1?

Cr2O7 is a polyatomic ion with a charge of -2

Oops, I made a few typos in my first post, you all got them though. Cr+8.

I thought, in Hg2Cl2 it would be Hg+1 because 2 of them divide the +2 from the chlorines.

Also, thanks guys.