How to transfer to PGY2 at a different location for IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smashingdude

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am writing this on behalf of a friend. He is currently in NY as a PGY1 IM resident and is quite satisfied with his place. However, due to personal reasons, he would like to move to any IM program in Michigan for the PGY2 year. I would be very thankful if anyone of you can answer the following queries:

1. Is this transfer possible? I've seen some threads in this forum but don't know how true or doable it is.
2. Whats the procedure?
3. Is there a special AAMC service dedicated to this?
4. Is there a common/centralized website where places for residents open up and you can apply? (apart from ERAS of course!)
5. Is there a swapping website, where you can swap places?
6. Any other pertinent details that I should be aware of?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I am writing this on behalf of a friend. He is currently in NY as a PGY1 IM resident and is quite satisfied with his place. However, due to personal reasons, he would like to move to any IM program in Michigan for the PGY2 year. I would be very thankful if anyone of you can answer the following queries:

1. Is this transfer possible? I've seen some threads in this forum but don't know how true or doable it is.
There's no such thing as a "transfer" per se. But yes, plenty of people are able to move from one program to another.

2. Whats the procedure?
Basically, you cold call programs asking if they have a PGY2 spot available.

3. Is there a special AAMC service dedicated to this?
Nope.
4. Is there a common/centralized website where places for residents open up and you can apply? (apart from ERAS of course!)
5. Is there a swapping website, where you can swap places?
There's this one although you have to be a member (i.e. pay money) to actually see the available spots so I can't comment on what's actually available there. SDN also has a "Positions Available" forum that has a few spots here and there.

6. Any other pertinent details that I should be aware of?
In general, anybody moving from one program to another is going to "trade down" to do so. I went to a solid mid-tier IM program and the two people who swapped in while I was there (one my year, one the year ahead of me) came from Stanford and BWH respectively. So if your "friend" is already at a crap program, his/her chances are much lower. If "s/he" is at Columbia or Cornell OTOH, things will probably be OK.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a lot for the swift reply Gutonc. I really appreciate it.

One last thing. I was just searching AAMC and came up with FAR (FindAResident). What are your opinions regarding this service?

And yes my friend is going to be toning down. He is in a great big program in NY, and is willing to downgrade to a lesser program.