How To travel with a Suit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speter33

S.D.N.'s Captain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys do when you have to fly for an interview? I don't know if i should wear the suit on the plane or put it in a nylon bag. I haven't tried either way yet so I don't know what works best

By the way here's a link of the bag I found. let me know what you think
http://www.organize-everything.com/nytrsubag.html

Members don't see this ad.

I bought an inexpensive rolling garment bag to use for interviews and it worked quite well. Only downside was that it had to be checked.

I have done both ways, but this is not what you should be worried about for your interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
i carried my suit in the garment bag they give with the suit...(or u can buy one separately). most of the hotels have an iron....iron it before in interview and u r all set!

I rolled mine into my (small) suitcase and carried everything onto the plane. I arrived the night before each interview so I just hung it up - no ironing was needed (maybe I'm lucky). Above all else I would *not* check it ... or you might end up at your interview wearing jeans :eek:

Um you totally don't have to check your suit. Just get a plain ole garmet bag and bring it on board with you. It EASILY fits into the overhead compartment and I even got it underneath the seat in front of me. Don't check it!! My friend got his torn up.

While it makes life a little easier, you don't even need a garment bag to travel with a suit. In my previous life, my job required that I constantly travel and wear a suit to client meetings. Before I got a garment bag, a nice travel tip I learned was to fold my suit neatly in my bag, and then when I got to the hotel, I could either iron out the wrinkles, or easier still, I would just hang the suit in the bathroom while leaving the hot shower running. In a half hour, I'd have a perfectly wrinkle-free suit, ready-to-wear.

i dont know what they are called and im sure it was already mentioned...but i have this bag that holds suits and shirts on its own little hangars and everything and you can fold it in half and take it on the plane with you. never had a problem. you can even put your dress shoes in there as well.

no bag, no garment carrying case or anything. Just threw it in my suitcase. Didn't crease at all... cool huh :)

Your bag looks nice - especially for the price. I guess it folds in half? I think that should do... AND I agree with the above posts - do NOT check your bag! A friend of mine had to run to the local 24hr walmart to get a make-shift suit and a pair of high heels for her interview because her luggage was lost. Needless to say she was very uncomfortable and in pain the whole interview.

It's a bit pricey but I got a nice TUMI (sp) carry-on luggage bag - it is a trifold and it is very light. I could also fit my shoes, pajamas, personal items, shoe polish set, sewing kit, mp3 player, a few magazines, and a small portable garment steamer into it. It had a nice sized outside pocket - so I also put my snacks and bottled water in there as well. OK, so I'm a bit anal...

I saw it as an investment. You'll use it for residency interviews and job interviews as well as any formal presentations at conferences, etc.

If you don't have much traveling, then go the cheap route.

===I just read back my post, and I really sound snotty rich... I swear, I'm not Paris Hilton I really am a starving student... :laugh: ========

Reactions: 1 user
I just put it in a plastic bag from the laundry place and then rolled it. Watch some Queer Eye for the Straight Guy for more!

did anyone else first read the thread title as "How to travel with a slut?" or was that just me?

Members don't see this ad :)
I found a super cheap, thin "suit" bag ($15) that folded in half and has a shoulder carrying handle. Put my pants on a pant-hanger, covered in plastic laundry bag. Then placed my shirt on a separate hanger, covered that with another plastic laundry bag and finally placed my suit coat on top w/ another plastic bag over (same hanger as shirt). That way they all slip and slip and no wrinkles. Also used my bookbag for shoes and toiletry items. In all my interviews -- never had to check my suit bag nor my book bag ever. Wouldn't have let them them have it anyway! :cool:

camstah said:
did anyone else first read the thread title as "How to travel with a slut?" or was that just me?

:laugh: just you. what's on YOUR mind? ;)

camstah said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That bag may not be wide enough for guy clothes. We bought a $10 bag for my husband (was a sale item if you bought some suits at men's warehouse) and found out it was not wide enough for his suits without mashing in the sides. It does work for me and my dresses and suit coats.

I would not check in anything. Get a decent suitbag and carry it on the plane with you. Nothing worse than getting to an intervew and finding out you have nothing to wear. :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

I also thought it said how to travel with a slut :thumbup:

I guess I can add that all you need to do is have a garment bag as carry on luggage. If you have a resonably high quality wool suit you should be able to just hang it nicely in your hotel room and the weight of the suit will "pull" any wrinkles out. Don't check your suit in a garment bag. My bro works for the airlines in baggage handling and the suit is very likely to be tossed around and shoved into tight spaces because it can be.

This is the bag I got last year for interviews:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=29834

Reasonable capacity - notice the left and right upper mesh storage spaces. It also has two shoe pockets on the outside. Well worth the money.

Two things I learned while traveling:

1) Keep you suits in the plastic dry-cleaning bags they give to you. It allows your clothes to 'slide' over each other and avoid wrinkles.

2) For any wrinkles you have, hang it in the bathroom and run the shower with hot water. It works as a very mild steaming.

3) Most hotels do have an iron, but ironing suits can be a tricky thing if, like me, you don't iron clothes like that too often.

I've seen a lot of business people get on the plane with their garment bag and the flight attendants have hung it in a closet. Has anyone else seen this? And I don't think it was a service only for first class...

goldenboy said:
i carried my suit in the garment bag they give with the suit...(or u can buy one separately). most of the hotels have an iron....iron it before in interview and u r all set!

Better get some pointers on ironing suits, before you try it the first time. There are a bunch of pointers on packing on the web too, as well as in Issersons book.

Amy B said:
That bag may not be wide enough for guy clothes. We bought a $10 bag for my husband (was a sale item if you bought some suits at men's warehouse) and found out it was not wide enough for his suits without mashing in the sides. It does work for me and my dresses and suit coats.

I would not check in anything. Get a decent suitbag and carry it on the plane with you. Nothing worse than getting to an intervew and finding out you have nothing to wear. :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Except, you can't carry a razor on board the plane, or nail clippers, or any other damned thing the rentafool at security notices as she jerks herself to only semi-somnolence to keep from falling off the stool.

Yes, that is an option if there is room. Those hang up parts fill up fast and 1st class gets on first so they may fill up before you get on. I would tell the flight attendant that you are on your way to a medical school interview and want to look your best. That might make them more likely to find a spot for your bag.

Do some research ahead of time - make sure you know where the nearest dry cleaner is!

Is there a Mens Wearhouse in the area?

or whereever girls get their stuff.

etc etc

I think you should stop worrying about how to travel with a suit. Rather you should just buy a new when you get to the interview. You're going to need a number of suits once you become an MD, why not start buying them now?
:laugh:

TheRussian said:
I think you should stop worrying about how to travel with a suit. Rather you should just buy a new when you get to the interview. You're going to need a number of suits once you become an MD, why not start buying them now?
:laugh:

LOL, right. Just show up a couple of days early so you can find a store, a suit, and get it tailored!

Here's my advice:

1) Do not put the suit in your checked baggage, it may get lost and then you'll be in a bind.

2) Do not wear the suit on the plane...you'll be sorry when the slob next to you dumps his coffee in your lap after the beverage service.

3) Do purchase a garment bag to carry your suit onto the plane.

4) Do try to board the plane early so there will be space for the flight attendant to put your garment bag in the little closet that exists on almost all large airplanes

Good Luck!