How to turn a 10 in verbal to a 13-14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUc10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Though I've just started taking full lengths I had dabbled with the EK verbal exams and I'm consistently getting 10s and occasionally a 9. I don't find it hard to get this score at all so I'm wondering why I can't improve. Occasionally upon looking at my answers I realize that at time I make dumb choices which is usually due to me feeling the need to hurry up but even if I were to get those couple back it still wouldn't boost me to a 13. Is there anything you've learned about verbal aside from focusing on the main idea and who the author is that has taken your score from average to good?

Members don't see this ad.

i would suggest doing a search. those things work wonders. i cannot begin to tell you how many threads have addressed this topic. i've seen and written some good answers to this question lately, but frankly i'm too darned lazy to go look them up.

With enough practice, you start to get a "feel" for the type of questions. It is hard for me to explain but do a search because I have also read some explanations on here. I usually got around a 12 on EK for reference.

Also, I learned how to read the passages faster and more efficient so it left more time for the questions.

With enough practice, you start to get a "feel" for the type of questions. It is hard for me to explain but do a search because I have also read some explanations on here. I usually got around a 12 on EK for reference.

Also, I learned how to read the passages faster and more efficient so it left more time for the questions.

:thumbup: Great advice. Shaving off even 20-30 seconds per passage when reading really adds up. And when you start getting the "feel", it'll just boost your confidence, which will help out tremendously.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above...for me finding the "zone" where I'm super-focused helps me excel!!! It wild how diff of a score i can achieve when I'm in that place of intense concentration. Everything is clear and easy. Hard to explain, but i have been working on finding that place mentally/emotionally and the 12-13 follows.. :luck:

the single-most useful piece of advice I was given in this regard was: do NOT bring any outside knowledge into the VR portion of the exam

I was doing consistent 10-ish work when I knew I should be scoring higher (I've always done well on the verbal/logic/reading comprehension portions of standardized exams)

once I stopped trying to over-analyze things and stopped trying to outsmart the writers of the questions, I started getting most of the VR answers correct

ended up with a 13 on the real thing...I was disappointed because I was going for a 15...

Thanks for the replies. It looks like more time spent on the questions is the answer.

And lo siento, that damned search button is so hard to find.