1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

How to use Destroyer

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by firenoodle, May 10, 2008.

1. firenoodle

firenoodle Member

Hey guys I need your help, I have the Destroyer for a while now and I have been going through all the problems in biology right now and making up flash cards. Even though the materials seems to be pretty deep it doesn't seem to be covering all the aspects of things covered in the Kaplan blue book. Am I using the book correctly?

Here is how I go about using the book, please let me know if its a good way or not from those who used it before and got a good score on their test.

I look at a problem and all the choices if there is something in the choice i don't understand I look up the meaning online, but if there is even more things online that I dont quite understand I look up that term as well. the problem with this strategy is that this could be endless and I would get alot of detailed info I do not need so how should I go about it?

It seems to me that the Destroyer is compilation of odd questions that the DAT could throw at you that will catch you off guard. It is a book about the most frequently appeared questions and doesn't fully cover ALL Aspect of biology in an equal depth. so does this mean if i know all the material in the book I am golden? because Looking up everything the vast world wide web is not really time efficient IMO.

THANX FOR YOUR HELP!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doc3232

Dental Student
    Most other SDNers would say that it is best for understanding concepts not learning the basics. Destroyer gives you the extra push.

4. classof2013

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I was also wondering the same thing. I bought the book and I thought there would be some reading materials but its mostly questions. Does'nt that mean that one can only truly use the Destroyer after they have completed studying? Please elaborate. Thanks;)

5. userah

Dental Student
    i find destroyer to be helpful after going through the blue book. i don't use it as a way to test my knowledge because the first time around, i knew maybe a quarter of the questions lol. I just go one question at a time, trying to figure out the answer. if i can, i look at the answer choices to see if there's any extra information in there that i should know. Otherwise, i circle the question if i don't know it, and first read the solution and then look up the information either in the Kaplan book, Bio book or wiki and understand it better. I found that technique to be most helpful with Destroyer.

6. i think that the best way to use destroyer is to answer the questions and when you review the right and wrong answers ask your self why you think you got the problem wrong. if you still dont understand you got the problem wrong then you a text book and review that topic and know it inside out. but going through the destroyer definitly means that you have already went through all of kaplans stuff and the material in the blue book.

7. TheWiredNerv

Pre-Dental
    use wikipedia with destroyer.

8. alltheway

Pre-Dental
    Destroyer offers more challenging questions. The point is that after having studied well and had done other study quides and want to be challanged to see if you know the stuff then go right ahead to the destroyer. The great thing about this book is its explanation and how it covers more than the question. So make sure you know that cold. So the way I would approach destroyer is having basic or more than basic knowledge on each section and by doing destroyer you could see where you are lacking. Wikepedia is excellent if you still don't understand suff as mentioned previously.Good luck

9. firenoodle

firenoodle Member

thanks guys for your inputs. i think its time to start memorizing my cardssssssss