How to use money saved for PT school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am in need of advice for how to pay for DPT school. Now that I am accepted places, I'm starting to look into how I plan on paying for grad school. I'll break down what I have saved up first:
I was fortunate enough to not have to dip into my parent's college fund they saved up for undergrad, and after my mom passed away when I was in high school I was also receiving survivor benefits. As a result of both of these circumstances, I have a significant amount saved that has not been touched.
Now my main question is would it be wise to drain the money saved up in both accounts completely before taking out loans if I go to a school that requires over 100k in tuition for the 3 years of school, or should I leave some of that money untouched and take out more loans? So far, I have only been accepted to schools that are pretty high in tuition, so this situation is possible at this point.
Any advice would be really appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We need more info.

1) What are your current debts? (amounts and interest rates)
2) What would be the interest rate on any loans you took out for PT school?
3) How much money do you have set aside, and where is the money invested now? (or is it invested?)
4) What is your expected starting salary as a PT?

If you are getting a higher rate of return on those investments than what you are going to pay in student loan interest rates (plus origination fees) then by all means get loans instead. Otherwise reducing loans is the way to go (you can keep a small emergency cushion if you otherwise have no savings or other plan to deal with the transition between graduation and getting a paycheck)

Reactions: 1 user