How to write a Personal Statement

Started by Tyrius
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tyrius

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you write a personal statement? Do you just explain bad grades in a positive manner and introduce yourself? How do you use a personal statement to make yourself more competitive?
 
Tyrius said:
How do you write a personal statement? Do you just explain bad grades in a positive manner and introduce yourself? How do you use a personal statement to make yourself more competitive?

The topic for the personal statement I submitted to pharmCAS last year was why I wanted to be a pharmacist. I think that it's a very personal response that is unique for each individual applicant. Be honest as to why you want to be a pharmacist. That's the best advice I can give you with the personal statement. Good luck. :luck:

In addition, schools may also have supplemental applications in which additional essays will be submitted. You may have a chance to explain bad grades there if it's necessary. 🙂
 
out of thousands of applicants, what makes you unique? why should we pick you out of the countless other applicants that have a high GPA and have a high PCAT score. if you have a lower GPA and lower PCAT score, why should we consider interviewing you, maybe even accept you? stand out, make yourself shine ... a good personal statement can go pretty far
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have suggestions on how to approach this question: "describe an academic challenge." What if you don't have any drastically low grades to explain? Is there a way of answering this without talking about grades? Thanks!
 
dreaminofpharmd said:
Does anyone have suggestions on how to approach this question: "describe an academic challenge." What if you don't have any drastically low grades to explain? Is there a way of answering this without talking about grades? Thanks!

I think an academic challenge doesn't necessarily have to do with grades. Maybe you can talk about a research project, the challenges that you encountered and how you overcame it? Or how a professor might have taught something that countered what you knew? Something like that.
 
dreaminofpharmd said:
Does anyone have suggestions on how to approach this question: "describe an academic challenge." What if you don't have any drastically low grades to explain? Is there a way of answering this without talking about grades? Thanks!

I remember this question for the supplemental application for UCSD. I talked about graduating high school in three years and discussed my experience there. Another example of an academic challenge could be how I got a pharm tech certificate while still keeping up 16-20 units each semester. I agree w/ chessygal-- it doesn't necessarily have to do with explaining low grades. Academic challenge can be anything that you were faced with that you think is significant for the committee to consider.