How to write Letter of Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeryDesiredMemberName

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Correction: Letter of interest.

So I went on an interview to a school and it was an excellent school that I really liked. How do I go about writing a letter of interest? Would it just be reiterating why the school is a good fit for me and how I strongly consider it to be a top choice? Should I include other acceptances in this letter?

Before I get roasted: I've never written a letter of interest/intent because I really am against fluffing my application, but this school strongly recommends a letter of interest or letter of intent, to the point where they may even ask you directly for them

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you JUST went on the interview, I would write a letter to your interviewers thanking them, including an anecdote from the conversation and letting them know with 1 or 2 specific things why you like that school and why you think you'd excel there.

Look, @Goro and @HomeSkool will roast you over a spit about LOIs. They will say that if you applied a school knows you're interested. But for those programs like SKMC that want LOIs post interview, keep the letter under a page and show them that based on what you saw during the interview (student body personality, faculty, deans, campus, etc) that you would love to be a member of their 2022 class. Don't be over-zealous and say that if accepted you will end your application process. AdComs won't believe a word. Just be sincere and thoughtful about why you and School X will be a good fit for each other.

Reactions: 1 users
Correction: Letter of interest.

So I went on an interview to a school and it was an excellent school that I really liked. How do I go about writing a letter of interest? Would it just be reiterating why the school is a good fit for me and how I strongly consider it to be a top choice? Should I include other acceptances in this letter?

Before I get roasted: I've never written a letter of interest/intent because I really am against fluffing my application, but this school strongly recommends a letter of interest or letter of intent, to the point where they may even ask you directly for them

For needy schools, or those that like to see people grovel, then an LOI is OK. Can you share where you got the II? (PM is OK)

And congrats on the II!!!

Reactions: 1 user