How tough is it to get into Pacific

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by docvisionX, Apr 19, 2004.

1. docvisionX

docvisionX SCCO
    10+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Any feedback would be very helpful. I am confident that I am a competitive candidate, but I would just like to know what your opinions are on admissions. What are some of the credentials of those of you who have been accepted/people you know of? (If you don't mind sharing)

Thanks for any info

2. leviz

leviz Junior Member

I was accepted into Pacific this year. I applied last year as well, and was put at number 3 on the alternate list, but no spots opened up. I had a 350 OAT, 3.7 GPA, honors, the required 30 observation hours. I thought I was as good as in. Here's what I did wrong: I applied too late because my optometrist took a million years to get my letter of rec to me. Work on getting your letters in the summer and make sure you get your app in around october/november. If you are pretty strong, you probably wouldn't have a problem taking longer... as long as you meet their january 15th "preferred deadline." That's what I did this year and it was no problem. It's also good to have more than their required 30 hrs., with good variety... I went back and got some time in at a hospital and a vision therapy place, which I'm sure helped a lot. I would also say just to be yourself with your essays and interview. Their interviews are not high pressure, just make sure that they are aware that you know a lot about the profession, you know what your getting yourself into, and have honorable intentions.

3. acurael

acurael Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i was accepted this year as well
    my stats: 350 OAT, 3.44 GPA, 40+ hrs observation
    i applied late, after their preferred deadline....about a month after, but i also recommend applying early :thumbup:

4. docvisionX

docvisionX SCCO
    10+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Thanks for your imput. You both have great stats.

5. UT-Frank

UT-Frank Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Are the OATs intense? How does everyone recommend studying for it? Kaplan course? or just books on our own?

6. acurael

acurael Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

woa ur gpa is crazy. Well i would recommend taking the OAT again in october. They can give you conditional acceptance without your newer OAT scores, just let them know you are taking it again. Most ppl say get about 320 avg or above and your ok. I think your optometry experiences will definitely help your application...woa a vision therapist, thats awesome.
    you can pm me with questions if you want :thumbup: