How useful is "R" for heme onc research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jackinabox1

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been wanting to learn R to supplement my future research pursuits. Specifically, I want to focus in on heme onc research. Could anyone weigh in on whether "R" is commonly used in heme onc research? Is there a better skill to consider? Thanks!
 
I've been wanting to learn R to supplement my future research pursuits. Specifically, I want to focus in on heme onc research. Could anyone weigh in on whether "R" is commonly used in heme onc research? Is there a better skill to consider? Thanks!
I learned R for research (not heme onc). It’s certainly a good skill to have, though I would say solid grasp of statistical concepts is much more important than learning a particular language. Unless you’re working with very large data sets or trying to run certain machine learning models, I’m not sure you HAVE to have R as there are other useful software that don’t have as steep of a learning curve.

if you’re mostly interested in making nice looking data visuals then R is a great tool. Hard to beat when you can use ggplot and whip up a colorful scatter plot on the fly with a few lines of code.
Python is another good option, though I think most data scientists would say the two languages are pretty equivalent in the industry.
 
Last edited:
A lot of large patient cohort projects include ngs data which is supremely helpful to know R for coding purposes. Is it absolutely necessary? No. But it will definitely serve you well to learn it, if possible
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I used books and online. Book of R, R cookbook, and R for data science are all good choices. And of course stackoverflow.

Thank you! I especially appreciate the suggestions for specific resources. 🙂
 
Hem/Onc fellow here. I use SAS for all my data analysis, good enough for K-M, multivariate regression cox, etc. Our statistician basically uses everything, SAS, R, etc. Our genomic analysis group uses python a lot.