How was the Canadian NDEB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all those who took the Canadian board - How was it? Was my advice helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Dr. Rob,

Thank you for your advice. I focused my studying on the past exams as you had suggested on the last week and found most if it pretty straight forward. It was the new OSCE that they had released this year which I found more difficult.

Vivian

I'm a 3rd year, but from what the senior colleagues tell me, the afternoon section of OSCE was a sick joke. Apparently there were case questions which turned out to be ambiguous multiple choice questions with something like 15 choices. Lots of people hoping it will just be taken off the final score. Personally it'd be appreciated if the dental board folks try better next year :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard about the new osce - there was no afternoon section when I took it 2 years ago. I heard there were more than one choice per question. How ridiculuous is that!

Sick joke is right....The written wasn't too bad. I thought the morning OSCE was hell until the afternoon came along and I was in the fire big time! Dr Rob your advice was pretty right on. Unfortunately I'll probably have to retake the friggin OSCE. Should have read and listened to the directions better. Ended up missing a friggin station in the afternoon! For all of you taking the OSCE later I realized that is better to error on caution by playing it safe and not guessing on or writing down an answer you really aren't sure of. They deduct incorrect answers! Oh well. Thank goodness I am now on spring break! Shamu is the coolest!

James,

Did you like the "clarity" of the radiographs? :) Everyone was really conservative with their answers because no part marks were given incorrect answers. But as for missing a station...I have heard of people missing five or six stations and still passing the old OSCE.

Just curious - are you from Canada and that's why you're taking the Canadian Boards? Good Luck...hope you got a good result!

Yes I am Canadian. Born and raised in Vancouver B.C.! Yeah I realized after the test I should have been more conservative. Hopefully I didn't end up with too many "zeroes!" The radiographs could have been better. They could have improved the whole test by placing a non-reflective sleeve over the examination papers instead of those acetate covers that bounced light all over the place!

I'll bet that the afternoon session won't count - or everyone will pass because it is a new test.

I am having more than 200 international books in soft format. It contains all standard mcq books and number of reference books also.

Contact for more details at [email protected]

I'm a 3rd year, but from what the senior colleagues tell me, the afternoon section of OSCE was a sick joke. Apparently there were case questions which turned out to be ambiguous multiple choice questions with something like 15 choices. Lots of people hoping it will just be taken off the final score. Personally it'd be appreciated if the dental board folks try better next year :)

That sound exactly like the OSCE last year (March 2013)..... Can someone explain the difference that they made this year?

Yeah I realized after the test I should have been more conservative. Hopefully I didn't end up with too many "zeroes!"

How do you spend $2000 on an exam and not read up on the rules/directions for the test?
I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker just yet; hopefully you do okay. If you don't - maybe you'll learn a lesson?