How was your SCCO interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wavelength360

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I just recieved an e-mail from SCCO for an interview! I was just curious how the interview went for those we got an interview. Please share :) Was it in a relaxing environment as some of the other schools?

I know there is a SCCO interview page already, but that was posted in 2006. Time for a new update. :)

Members don't see this ad.

The interview here is quite scary. Not that they are mean, but they're very stoic. It's quite impossible to read them. I thought I bombed the interview, but I still got in so just be genuine, enjoy the school tour, and maybe something from it will inspire you.

Hi!
I just recieved an e-mail from SCCO for an interview! I was just curious how the interview went for those we got an interview. Please share :) Was it in a relaxing environment as some of the other schools?

I know there is a SCCO interview page already, but that was posted in 2006. Time for a new update. :)

Congrats on the interview! SCCO has predetermined interview days - this format consequentially results in having lots of applicants at each interview day (~30 people). However, you're further sequestered into groups of 4 or 5 to travel around with for the majority of the day. There's an essay, a tour, an interview, etc, but you know that from the email. Overall, I felt like they wanted me to like them as much as I wanted them to like me. Both sides were trying to impress each other.

There are around 6 possible persons/duos you could get as interviewers. You're interviewed by 1 or 2 people. Personally, I think it went fine. I'm very into just being myself so I did that, and I think they appreciated it. However, they weren't overly engaging or warm. Maybe that's just them or maybe they were told to not really give too much away. Anywho, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope they were told to be that way just for the interview or else it could reflect negatively on their school. I was hoping the interview would be very friendly as I have heard about a few other schools. Oh well, can't always be butterflies and unicorns. lol thank you for the input guys!

I wanted to clear something up. Each student interview alone with the panelists, right? This is not a group interview with the other 4 or 5 students, right?

Yes, you are alone with the interviewers. Everything else you'll do as a group. The first thing on the agenda was the essay and then we were broken into smaller groups for lunch and t we stayed with our group for the rest of the day.

I felt like the interview was very conversational and it seemed to go by really quickly. Maybe I got lucky with my interviewers because they were both very friendly and easy to talk to. One of them even asked to see pictures of my dogs. They did ask a couple of questions I wasn't totally prepared for, but they must have liked my answers because I was accepted. Just be yourself and you'll be fine! Good luck!

One of them even asked to see pictures of my dogs

Does that mean you were allowed to bring in supplementary papers with you? Like pictures, certificates, or something that shows you are more than just academically successfully?

Does that mean you were allowed to bring in supplementary papers with you? Like pictures, certificates, or something that shows you are more than just academically successfully?

They had asked what I like to do with my free time and I mentioned that I liked to play with my dogs and that is when she asked if I had any pictures. I showed her a picture on my phone since it was in my bag. I had also written about one of dogs in my application essay since she had a corneal ulcer and requires a lot of special care, so they already knew about her.

If you have any certificates that you can put in your portfolio you could bring them, but I wouldn't get anything out unless they specifically ask you about something. Plus awards and such are listed on your application, so they will be aware of those things. If there's anything you did not list on your application that you'd like them to know about you could always mention it at the end of the interview when they ask if you have any questions or anything else you'd like to say.

Are you allowed to bring anyone with you interview day...I know for the actual interview it will be just you and the faculty members. But I was wondering for the rest of the day can anyone come with you or does everyone just go by themselves?

Everyone usually goes by themselves. If you bring a parent/friend, they'll get handed a welcome sheet telling them about the program/nearby places they can have coffee while you go do your thing.

Yeah, everyone goes alone. Wasn't as friendly there as some of my other interviews.

These are interesting comments, and I've heard similar things from my classmates. I personally thought they were very friendly, even though my wife couldn't come on the tour with me :)

SCO takes the cake for friendliness though, in my opinion.