how will the labs look like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marjok2d

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't "love" the lab sessions during undergrad. The practical tests weren't my type but I somehow managed to survive. How will the labs look like? Do we have labs close to biology and chemistry? How can I improve my skills? I do study but I find practical stuff a little harder to concentrate at.

Members don't see this ad.

the main labs in med school are gross anatomy and histology. these are radically different, in my opinion, than the labs of undergrad. gross lab is very hands on - you get a body and have to cut it up, take out lots of crap (literally sometimes) and figure out what is what. if you have a good lab group, it can be a lot of fun and pulling fascia off muscles in a great stress reliever. the tests are mostly identify this muscle, identify that blood vessel, etc. a book like Rohen might be helpful to you - it's an atlas of cadaver pictures with all the structures labelled.

Members don't see this ad :)
it can be a lot of fun and pulling fascia off muscles in a great stress reliever

You meant to say "is a great pain in the ass," right? I'll assume that's what you meant to say.

I'd say lab is um 10X worse than any other lab experience. The smell alone qualifies it for cruel and unusual but the alienation factor is also right up there. So what did you do today? ....oh nothing just used a saw to cut of a cross section of someone's lower leg, that was of course after peering into his skull which was cut like a hat and down the middle... how about you?
:scared:

I didn't "love" the lab sessions during undergrad. The practical tests weren't my type but I somehow managed to survive. How will the labs look like? Do we have labs close to biology and chemistry? How can I improve my skills? I do study but I find practical stuff a little harder to concentrate at.

I hated all my lab experiences in Ugrad. Med school is different. We only had gross lab and simulations (patient histories and such). Histo was even an online lab.

At my school, there are microbiology labs in the second year. I don't know much about them because I'm not there yet.