How will this affect my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kered424

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a low verbal and writing MCAT score. How will it affect my chances?
B-13
V-8
P-14
Total-35N

Other stats:
cGPA-3.835
sGPA-3.930
(from WashU if that means anything)

Extracurricular:
-4yrs volunteer at hospital during high school
-prefreshmen summer research program
-treasurer and president of student club
-6 semesters deans list
-2 yrs tutor
-1 semester of shadowing
-summer research grant
-1 yr of research
-national BME honor society

What are my chances of getting into top schools like Harvard, Yale, and WashU?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a low verbal and writing MCAT score. How will it affect my chances?
B-13
V-8
P-14
Total-35N

Other stats:
cGPA-3.835
sGPA-3.930
(from WashU if that means anything)

Extracurricular:
-4yrs volunteer at hospital during high school
-prefreshmen summer research program
-treasurer and president of student club
-6 semesters deans list
-2 yrs tutor
-1 semester of shadowing
-summer research grant
-1 yr of research
-national BME honor society

What are my chances of getting into top schools like Harvard, Yale, and WashU?
So you stopped volunteering at the hospital before you started college? That stinks, since adcomms probably are not going to care that much about all those years of volunteering. The general idea is that you should only list things that happened in high school if you continued them into college.

Your chances at your "dream schools" are not very good with that verbal subsection. Your 8 is below the 10th percentile at all 3 of those schools, which means that they MIGHT have a cutoff and certainly have a strong bias against candidates with a low individual score. Most schools don't care about the writing sample that much though, although you are still below the 10th percentile with your N at two of the three schools.

Your chances are even worse, however, considering that you don't have any medical or nonmedical volunteering during college. Your overall stats are impressive, but unless you didn't mention something, I don't think you will be accepted at your "dream schools".

So you stopped volunteering at the hospital before you started college? That stinks, since adcomms probably are not going to care that much about all those years of volunteering. The general idea is that you should only list things that happened in high school if you continued them into college.

Your chances at your "dream schools" are not very good with that verbal subsection. Your 8 is below the 10th percentile at all 3 of those schools, which means that they MIGHT have a cutoff and certainly have a strong bias against candidates with a low individual score. Most schools don't care about the writing sample that much though, although you are still below the 10th percentile with your N at two of the three schools.

Your chances are even worse, however, considering that you don't have any medical or nonmedical volunteering during college. Your overall stats are impressive, but unless you didn't mention something, I don't think you will be accepted at your "dream schools".

Yay...ur a TX resident too.....!!:luck::D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay...ur a TX resident too.....!!:luck::D
Me? Nope, just applying to TX schools since my students from my undergrad have suprisingly good luck there despite being OOS. I'll update my MDapps once I apply to the AMCAS schools

OP, I didn't mean to sound so negative. I'm guessing that you'll get in somewhere, but you need to apply broadly and to some lower tier schools

I don't think medical schools care what you did in highschool. Without clinical experience, it will be very tough.