How will this look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey guys
Recently just finished my first semester of college. I'm very proud of most the grades I earned and I'm going to show you them just so you can know where I'm at:

Bio: A
Chem: A
Calc 1: A-
French 2: A-
Chem Lab: C+!!!!

I know I'm one of only a handful of people to get a straight A in GChem lecture so how will this C+ be viewed by adcoms? I've talked to my chem professor and he's assured me that if I keep performing as I did in the rest of my classes that I should be fine, especially if I shape up in my upcoming semester of chem lab.

Anyone with a similar experience or their 2 cents to throw in?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys
Recently just finished my first semester of college. I'm very proud of most the grades I earned and I'm going to show you them just so you can know where I'm at:

Bio: A
Chem: A
Calc 1: A-
French 2: A-
Chem Lab: C+!!!!

I know I'm one of only a handful of people to get a straight A in GChem lecture so how will this C+ be viewed by adcoms? I've talked to my chem professor and he's assured me that if I keep performing as I did in the rest of my classes that I should be fine, especially if I shape up in my upcoming semester of chem lab.

Anyone with a similar experience or their 2 cents to throw in?

You're in your first semester of college. Stop worrying and start having fun! You obviously are good at chem and and figured out how to study. Good job. Keep it up, but please, have some fun in the process! For Gen chem II: get a tutor to help tie in concepts with practice.

Yeah that's pretty solid... meaning damn good. If you can bring up your next couple lab grades to B's and above you'll be money

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, seriously good job. You're worried about one C+ which is probably worth what 1, maybe 2 credits. Don't stress it, you did great.

yea, you need to calm down. It's just one C+ and in a lab to boot. Just as a reference, I got C+'s in three upper div bio classes lol

It's never fun to get a C, but it's just a lab! Don't sweat it.

pguichet:
"Anyone with a similar experience or their 2 cents to throw in?"

Yup. Im happy that you're worried about that C, because RIGHT NOW ITS NOTHING BUT A BIG COMPETITION!!! yeah have some fun in undergrad but remeber you're trying to get into medical school (I think). keep the C's at a minimum. I have two C's on my transcript, alot of b's and a's and I only have a 3.593:eek:. But I still have some ways to go. The key to it is that your freshman year is important for the foundation of your gpa. So dont make anymore C's:D

Last edited:
Labs are worth 1 credit aren't they? That would barely hurt your GPA, especially considering your other grades. You are fine. Good job so far!

Wow, seriously good job. You're worried about one C+ which is probably worth what 1, maybe 2 credits. Don't stress it, you did great.
This. Don't worry, things happen, and it's only one class. Even if it were worth more it probably wouldn't matter.

Yep the chem lab was worth 1 credit
At the beginning of the semester I was frustrated that lab was only going to be worth 1 credit for all the time I was putting into it - but once I found out what I got in the class it was a lifesaver haha :D

Thanks for the encouragement guys and yeah I'm pretty sure I'm Pre-Dental but I'm still not 100% sure yet (maybe like 80% sure)

When people get marginal grades in low credit classes I just tell them, "It makes you look human to the committee."

It is actually a good distraction from other flaws that you might have. If you get them talking on your C+ and how you had 50 million activities and you were heading up this cancer research group and you were president of teeth brushing awareness for such and such terrible part of town, that will actually work for your benefit because you can plea bargin and stress how your EC's were out o control that semester.

The thing is, just try to keep it B range or above for now on and you are golden.