How will work hours effect neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay Shoaps

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard whether the general surgery work hours revolution will effect surgical subspecialties, neurosurgery in particular. On the one hand everyone hears about how malignant it is; on the other hand it is after all often under the department of surgery.

For example, as regards general surgery, everyone I have talked to has said that the programs at their schools have taken these changes very seriously and that to do otherwise is not an option. For example, anecdotally, I know a resident in GS who was in contact with her Northwestern alums and they said that there they went into rapid and expensive work hours compliance. At my school as well, MSU-CHM Lansing, they have made massive changes: I think its Q4, out at noon post call, max ~84 hours per week. I'd really like to know as this makes the GS programs seem pretty tempting, and would make NS look much more stressfull in comparison.

Thanks,
JS

Members don't see this ad.

I, too, have heard of changes taking place within NS departments. For instance, they are hiring more SA to reduce resident workload. Programs are decreasing call, allowing residents to go home following call, or allowing them to sleep in-house (Duke) on post-call days.

I believe that these changes will have to effect all specialties if they wish to survive.

What are "normal" hours for neurosurg residency anyway? What about if your in academia vs private practice? Also, do private practice surgeons operate far less on the actual brain vs the spine compared to academicians?

Thanks

Just wanted to clarify that the work hours revisions that I have heard of have occured all within general surg, that point was unclear in my now corrected original post

Sorry for the confusion,

JS