• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

How would this EC be classified?

itsme87123

May 19, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi all,

I worked as a pharmacy technician at CVS for two years. Over that time, I learned a TON of information. I would help patients find certain medications in the aisles, answer patients questions about the prescription, called patients regarding refills, etc.

Is this clinical exposure? I guess how would this experience exactly be classified in AMCAS or in the AACOMAS application? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
  1. Attending Physician
Hi all,

I worked as a pharmacy technician at CVS for two years. Over that time, I learned a TON of information. I would help patients find certain medications in the aisles, answer patients questions about the prescription, called patients regarding refills, etc.

Is this clinical exposure? I guess how would this experience exactly be classified in AMCAS or in the AACOMAS application? Thanks.
For AMCAS applications, this sort of experience is generally viewed as best classified under "Not-Clinical," but giving all details of your roles, as some adcomms may feel it edges into the "Clinical" category.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

itsme87123

May 19, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
For AMCAS applications, this sort of experience is generally viewed as best classified under "Not-Clinical," but giving all details of your roles, as some adcomms may feel it edges into the "Clinical" category.

Hmm okay that's what I have heard as well. Baseline pharmacy tech does not count as clinical but some of my time was spent consulting patients. I don't want to put clinical and they some adcomms think "oh this kid is trying to get one over on us" but on another hand, it could add like 500 hours of clinical experience to my application. @LizzyM @Mr.Smile12 @Goro

Upvote 0
About the Ads

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
  1. Academic Administration
I think that it sounds like trying to put one over on us. Aren't the people who walk into CVS customers, not patients? Call it "non-clinical" and let an adcom up-code it for you. Much safer than puffing it up to "clinical" and having an adcom disagree.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

itsme87123

May 19, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
I think that it sounds like trying to put one over on us. Aren't the people who walk into CVS customers, not patients? Call it "non-clinical" and let an adcom up-code it for you. Much safer than puffing it up to "clinical" and having an adcom disagree.

Thank you so much for that perspective! I definitively do not want it to be viewed by adcoms in that fashion so I will put it as "non-clinical" and leave it up for them.

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.