How would this look to Adcoms? Do I need to take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroticPremed123

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with my prehealth advisor.

So basically, I don't have Orgo 2 completed yet, because I actually resigned from the course during my last semester and never bothered to retake it after I graduated. I have biochem done and was under the impression that many places take biochem in place of orgo 2 nowadays (but that's besides the point). So anyways, I was told that the resignation for Orgo 2 would essentially be a red flag on my app that would essentially kill my chances.

My MCAT is 519, so I was thinking that with my score on the MCAT, which I took after my graduation, it was going to make up for the withdrawal on my transcript from Orgo 2. However, my advisor told me wasn't going to be the case and that the W would look extremely bad regardless.

At this point, what I am thinking is that I should take Orgo 2 this summer and apply anyway, but I'm afraid that I won't get a grade before they just reject me since I was planning to apply as soon as apps open (I will get my grade late July/early August if I plan to take orgo 2 during the summer). I want to know yall thoughts on this. My GPA and MCAT are overall good, but I am being told this is a blemish that would bring down my entire app.

I understand that many students don't have their pre-reqs completed yet prior to applying, but this is slightly different because I have already attempted the course in the past. I'm afraid that instead of adcoms waiting for me to receive my grade in late July/early August, I will straight up get rejected early in the process because of the W.

To summarize:
1) I have a W in Orgo 2 and haven't retaken it yet.
2) I will retake Orgo 2 in summer, but the grade will be received in late July/early August.
3) I'm afraid I'll get immediately rejected from schools because I have a W on my previous attempt and won't get the chance to prove myself in time with the retake.
4) Overall GPA is 3.74 and MCAT is 519, but I'm told that this doesn't make up for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Just got off the phone with my prehealth advisor.

So basically, I don't have Orgo 2 completed yet, because I actually resigned from the course during my last semester and never bothered to retake it after I graduated. I have biochem done and was under the impression that many places take biochem in place of orgo 2 nowadays (but that's besides the point). So anyways, I was told that the resignation for Orgo 2 would essentially be a red flag on my app that would essentially kill my chances.

My MCAT is 519, so I was thinking that with my score on the MCAT, which I took after my graduation, it was going to make up for the withdrawal on my transcript from Orgo 2. However, my advisor told me wasn't going to be the case and that the W would look extremely bad regardless.

At this point, what I am thinking is that I should take Orgo 2 this summer and apply anyway, but I'm afraid that I won't get a grade before they just reject me since I was planning to apply as soon as apps open (I will get my grade late July/early August if I plan to take orgo 2 during the summer). I want to know yall thoughts on this. My GPA and MCAT are overall good, but I am being told this is a blemish that would bring down my entire app.

I understand that many students don't have their pre-reqs completed yet prior to applying, but this is slightly different because I have already attempted the course in the past. I'm afraid that instead of adcoms waiting for me to receive my grade in late July/early August, I will straight up get rejected early in the process because of the W.

To summarize:
1) I have a W on Orgo 2 and haven't retaken it yet
2) I will take Orgo 2 in summer, but the grade will be received in late July/early August
3) I'm afraid I'll get immediately rejected from schools because I have a W and won't get the chance to prove myself in time
Take a breath.
Take orgo 2 this summer and apply as planned. New courses are one of the few things you can update on the application after submitting.
Med schools don’t go over your transcripts line by line at this point and having the prereqs completed before matriculation is fine.
As you choose your schools to apply to, look at the prereqs of each because they vary.

Reactions: 5 users
You have a 3.74 so obviously this was not an attempt to preserve a 4.0 GPA. That would have raised a red flag (perfectionist tendency, not a positive).

You need to have taken the pre-reqs before you matriculate. Heck, I know a guy (IRL) who didn't take Bio II until after he was admitted to Harvard, Hopkins and six other schools. Not having taken Orgo II at the time of your application is not a big deal. Tell your advisor to calm.down.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
username checks out

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
OP: you are not wrong in that some schools will accept biochemistry for organic chemistry 2. Just make sure you know which ones still require it. Your strong MCAT may allay concerns. If you have to, there is always online or take it in person in the spring.

Reactions: 1 users