How would you answer these interview questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMBFan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, what are some questions to ask admissions committees?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

DMBFan said:
How would you answer these interview questions?

Thanks

Honestly. Sorry that's not much help, but thinking back on it, I would have tried to do a better job with answering honestly ("what are your weaknesses, why do you want to go here, etc.") They are intelligent people and can tell when you are BSing them and will appreciate honest answers.

DMBFan said:
Also, how did some of you answer the question "why X school?" I am applying to a state school in a state that I am not resident of, so I am wondering what to say regarding this!

Thanks

Why lie? There must have been a particular reason you applied to that school (only you would know the answer to that)...

Members don't see this ad :)
DMBFan said:
Also, how did some of you answer the question "why X school?" I am applying to a state school in a state that I am not resident of, so I am wondering what to say regarding this!

Thanks

I agree with the previous posters. 1. Be honest 2. There has to be some valid reason for you applying to school X. I strongly urge you to go to that school's website and find information that may help you develop a more thoughtful, clearer understanding of why you want to go to a certain school.

Hope this helps :)

DMBFan said:
I agree that I should reply honestly. But unfortunately, I did apply to a whole bunch of varied schools across the country and this was just one of the schools that I chose that fit into my "safety" net so to speak. So I just wanted opinions of what other people have said.

Ok, if the main reason you picked it was you needed a school to round out your picks and you thought you had a good chance to get in, you'll have to come up with something else. Why isn't it your last choice? Why might someone else like it? Why wouldn't it suck to go there? What's the best thing about this bad choice? Answer those, see if you can dig up something that would sound good, and answer that :rolleyes:

DMBFan said:
Also, how did some of you answer the question "why X school?"

I was asked this question at pretty much every interview i attended. in reality, i applied to virtualy every school i thought i'd have a good shot of getting into without really knowing much about it. so when i was asked this question, my answer always took the this general from: 'because i believe your school would give me the opportunity to earn a high quality medical education'. If I may be self-critical, I believe it's an honest answer but i don't know that it's showing enough knowledge and/or interest in any particular school, and for that reason, probably lacks some of the depth the interviewer is looking for. What do you think?

Def. look at their website. See if there is something that they emphasize a lot (opportunity to do research, cool grading system, many choices of electives, only morning classes, great facilities, study abroad, etc) and talk about that. If they emphasize something a lot, it means they are proud of it. Kiss some ass and tell them what they wanna hear. If it's close to "home", you could also talk about location and how important it is to stay relatively close to your family... If it's a safety school, you kinda have to bs, but be subtle. :luck:

There are often many answers to such questions. Your answer is really dependent on your past. For a state school I tend to talk up my past life in public school (I went to U of Mass). Following this thread I discuss the fun of diversity and the chance join a real community. Oh and I talk about the evils Bush and the joys of being a liberal.

Anyway it is always a hard question. I think they just want to be sure you know who they are. Or the interview is new at the game and just asks the first silly question that comes to them. It is really a useless question for them to ask us.