How would you answer these interview questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. In your hand, you have a cure for some rare disease. 2 patients who have this disease come to you and ask for the cure or else they would die. You only have enough for 1 patient. How would you choose which one gets the cure?

I would consult several bioethicists and fellow physicians and gather any relevant information about the patients that might aid in making the decision that is in the best overall interests of my patients.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your input on this.

I thought this article from early 2007 was interesting: http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2007/feb/09/news/chi-0702090094feb09
It deals with the age issue in kidney transplants. Seeing as this article is from last year, I'm not sure if the proposal they discuss of has gone into effect or not. Though they bring up valid points for both sides of the issue, personally, medical factors being equal, I don't think age should come into the equation. I don't believe that number of years left to live should take precedence over the quality of life over fewer years.

The "list" is not first-come first-served. I've sat in on a transplant committee meeting and factors from age and lab values to a social work evaluation all come into play.

I think a "healthy" (obviously he's not healthy if he needs a transplant) 70 year old would have a very hard time getting a transplant.

1. In your hand, you have a cure for some rare disease. 2 patients who have this disease come to you and ask for the cure or else they would die. You only have enough for 1 patient. How would you choose which one gets the cure?

The one who is going to pay the most money for it. Duh!

AtG