How would you rank these Neurology residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedheadTX

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm having a hard time deciding how to rank some programs.

How would you rank these in terms of perceived quality of education / best reputation, and why? I want the best possible training and also of course want a reputation that will propel me for fellowship.

Duke
University of Florida in Gainesville
Harvard - BIDMC
University of Miami
Mount Sinai
NYU
Rush
University of Texas - Houston
Yale

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
NC, Gainsville and Miami are really your only three habitable choices. Of those, I would say Duke has a good reputation because it sounds more prestigious than Marquis, Viscount, or Baron, but it's not as good as Prince.

Edit: are you sure you're chill enough for neuro though?

NC, Gainsville and Miami are really your only three habitable choices. Of those, I would say Duke has a good reputation because it sounds more prestigious than Marquis, Viscount, or Baron, but it's not as good as Prince.

Edit: are you sure you're chill enough for neuro though?
Wut? Im confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every program you have listed is very strong (i dont know much about ut houston). Just pick based on location, which has the best opportunities in your areas of interest, and also workload/call schedule.

Go to a region/area you want to be fore 4 years. They will all train you well assuming you put in the work. Tbh nobody ever asks where you trained on the wards once your'e beyond residecy

These are all top notch programs, you can get world class training at any of them; I think it's impossible to "rank them" but sure, I'm game.
I think Purely on subjective reputation/prestige:

Harvard BIDMC (harvard name opens doors on its own, without the subjective malignant reputation of MGH)
NYU (global name in a global city, a program that seems to be on the rise, but columbia nearby may overshadow it)
Duke (very academic, known to be a solid well rounded program)
University of Miami (Chair is the president-elect of AAN, power house program (2nd largest in US behind MGH) managing nearly 2500 beds, overlooking south beach, if only it wasn't for the zika...)
Rush
Mount Sinai
University of Florida in Gainesville (a new chairman of recent, a bright program, but one that needs building)
Yale (obv eye raising name, academically strong, but geographically isolated population limits the raw resource of pathology)
University of Texas - Houston (Excellent program in the most urban location in a rich resourceful state, certainly doesn't deserve to be on the bottom of any "list")

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
These are all top notch programs, you can get world class training at any of them; I think it's impossible to "rank them" but sure, I'm game.

Harvard BIDMC (harvard name opens doors on its own, without the subjective malignant reputation of MGH)
NYU (global name in a global city, a program that seems to be on the rise, but columbia nearby may overshadow it)
University of Miami (Chair is the president-elect of AAN, power house program (2nd largest in US behind MGH) managing nearly 2500 beds, overlooking south beach, if only it wasn't for the zika...)
Rush
Mount Sinai
University of Florida in Gainesville (a new chairman of recent, a bright program, but one that needs building)
Yale (obv eye raising name, academically strong, but geographically isolated population limits the raw resource of pathology)
University of Texas - Houston (Excellent program in the most urban location in a rich resourceful state, certainly doesn't deserve to be on the bottom of any "list")

I agree with sommerwings ranking from top to bottom.

Thank you both for your responses! I'm curious why you put Mount Sinai so far down the list. Many would put it above NYU in terms of the NYC programs.

Rush
Mount Sinai

You describe Duke as "very academic". What is a top notch program that leans more clinical in vibe than academic.

Don't forget, most of the relevant posts on that thread are >12 years old, which is a lifetime. Programs are a lot like sports franchises, the personnel on board can change your experience dramatically. Also I don't see Mount Sinai listed in the top ten anywhere, unless you are talking about the 2003 research funding list which is 1.) from 2003, and 2.) is a research funding list and not an educational ranking list (Boston U is a very good program, but would be difficult to list it as a top tier program).

Thank you both for your responses! I'm curious why you put Mount Sinai so far down the list. Many would put it above NYU in terms of the NYC programs.

Mount Sinai is obviously fantastic, and you wouldn't be wrong to choose it over NYU. But this is the question of "subjective perceived reputation." As a person who spent a year doing part of his medial training in nyc, there are multiple branches of mount sinai around nyc, and it becomes easy to associate mount sinai with a diffuse (albeit excellent) hospital system rather than a singular educational entity. NYU has always maintained the veneer of being a white pillar of education (whether or not it is true).

Reactions: 1 users
Based on my experience, I would base it on two factors: (1) can you see yourself training in that environment for 3 years based on your interview day, and (2) name value somewhat helps for most things - academic/employed private practice/public advertising in solo practice down the road. In Texas, name value may be UTSW and Baylor, whereas Chicago may bias Pritzker/NU/etc. when one considers alumni/connections. Irregardless of program details: the average person would know Harvard, Duke, and Yale for simple name value and that 'name' follows you the rest of your career.

I may be in the minority here, but I have found that that helps open doors. Then again, everyone's experience and perspective is different. Based on your list, I do know one thing: you are likely to match at a strong program.

Reactions: 1 user
I saw that both Mount Sinai and Rush were on your list, but not a ton has been said on either. I'm having trouble deciding between those two. Does anyone have any input about the strength of either program or recommendations (which they'd rank first and why)? Not that I'm going to base my decision on SDN, it's just helpful to hear other people's thoughts.

I saw that both Mount Sinai and Rush were on your list, but not a ton has been said on either. I'm having trouble deciding between those two. Does anyone have any input about the strength of either program or recommendations (which they'd rank first and why)? Not that I'm going to base my decision on SDN, it's just helpful to hear other people's thoughts.

I can't speak for Mount Sinai given that I didn't interview there but can speak to Rush from an applicant perspective. My impression was that it's definitely a more heavy clinical training vs research program historically. I'd heard that in the past it hasn't been as strong in the basic sciences areas but that may change with the new department chair transitioning in, who's in neuro-immunology from BIDMC and seemed particularly interested in beefing up both this and the international neurology experience. Regarding fellowships, I think the entire city of Chicago is unique in that it's divided pretty solidly such that none of the systems there are overwhelming dominant. Meaning that most programs will have very strong fellowships in one or two areas per program. Rush, for example, is obviously well-known for its movement disorders department and from what I remember historically has had the stronger epilepsy division (someone correct me if im mistaken there please!). This being said, I've heard from people who've done fellowships in Chicago/worked there after that swapping of faculty, etc between programs is very common so in theory you shouldn't be limiting yourself if you were to attend say University of Chicago but were interested in a Movement fellowship at Rush. Regarding resident education, I think there are few people more well-respected in education than the PD at Rush who serves as the editor-in-chief of continuum, etc. and has dedicated his career really towards resident education. Again, depends really on your interests and preferences if the above things listed appeal to you/your career goals. From my impression you really couldn't go wrong with that program but doesn't mean there aren't other programs out there that might be a better fit for you. Just my two cents. Anyone feel free to correct anything above if it was incorrect.

Reactions: 1 users