How would you rank these residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathalot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my top few programs in place but am having trouble ranking the following programs in the middle of my list. How would you guys rank them?

WashU (st. louis)
UW (seattle)
UVA
UNM
BIDMC
Utah

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, and the decision would be more based on where you would like to live (east vs west coast vs midwest) and maybe some in terms of fellowships, and AP vs CP interests (some are better known for CP like Utah while others may be stronger AP). If those variables are equal in your mind, then alphabetical? haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Any of those places will give you excellent training. More important, though, may be what you see yourself doing before landing a job. Do you have a specific fellowship in mind? Is there a subspecialty of pathology that interests you the most? If so, look into the fellowships offered at each of the institutions, as many places choose their own fellows first. Not that you couldn't get an outside fellowship having come from any of those institutions, but it's always easier and simpler to take an inside spot. Just my two cents.

Those all seem like good places. Definitely go with where you would rather live. Also a secondary consideration would be what fellowships they have and what famous faculty they have (at least whatever it means to famous in the nerdworld of pathology)

Those all seem like good places. Definitely go with where you would rather live. Also a secondary consideration would be what fellowships they have and what famous faculty they have (at least whatever it means to famous in the nerdworld of pathology)

You want to associate with as many alpha nerds as possible. But it won't get you laid.