How would you rank these?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wakaflakaflocculus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having trouble making my ROL. How would you rank these by reputation and general quality? Yale, BIDMC, UCLA, Northwestern, UVA, Vanderilt... thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at some of these programs last year, didn't match at one of these but I would personally say
BIDMC- Harvard name/resources opens doors, great fellowship match, residents seemed happy, great, involved chair, negative is it is great in its own right but because of affiliation always compared/overshadowed by sister program
UCLA- Elite program in warm city, cant ask for much more.
Northwestern/Vanderbilt- All around solid programs, just not as exciting as above two
Yale- Not as strong as academic reputation
UVA- Didn't interview here

All 6 strong programs, but I think the top two stand out most.

Enjoy fourth year, currently on nights watch on wards.

Last edited:
Having trouble making my ROL. How would you rank these by reputation and general quality? Yale, BIDMC, UCLA, Northwestern, UVA, Vanderilt... thanks.

I interviewed at some of these programs last year, didn't match at one of these but I would personally say
BIDMC- Harvard name/resources opens doors, great fellowship match, residents seemed happy, great, involved chair, negative is it is great in its own right but because of affiliation always compared/overshadowed by sister program
UCLA- Elite program in warm city, cant ask for much more.
Northwestern/Vanderbilt- All around solid programs, just not as exciting as above two
Yale- Not as strong as academic reputation
UVA- Didn't interview here

All 6 strong programs, but I think the top two stand out most.

Enjoy fourth year, currently on nights watch on wards.

For what it's worth, I'd probably put UCLA above BIDMC. While BIDMC carries the Harvard name (which will definitely take you places), it's not the same as Partners/MGH. Many would consider UCLA better in terms of the training you will receive. UCLA also receives a tremendous amount of NIH funding. BIDMC is definitely a slower-paced program in comparison to many others considered in the "top" (in terms of number of patients you will see in a day, etc). It probably comes down to two main questions between these two:

1 - location. Where are you from? Do you have any ties to either of these cities? If you're not from the north, can you handle the extreme winters of Boston.
2 - Do you want to go into academia? If so, the Harvard name will of course carry you further. However, if you just want to be an excellent neurologist, obtain a great fellowship, etc, UCLA may be better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you could easily flip his one and two. No disagreement.

I do have ties to NE so probably some coastal bias.

You're underselling Yale. Very good program these days. I'd put it just barely under your top two. UVA is a diamond if you're interested in stroke, I have some stellar colleagues there. But a very different feel.

Liked bidmc a lot. How would you compare Yale vs ucla without worrying about weather?